23November2017

ThePumpkins.net

You are here: Home Forum Categories The Smashing Pumpkins / Billy Corgan Owata Short Film - Robby Starbuck Interview
  • Page:

TOPIC: Owata Short Film - Robby Starbuck Interview

Owata Short Film - Robby Starbuck Interview 6 years 4 months ago #89501

• Vaughn
  • The Demon
Here's a short interview. We didn't focus on any of his other videos, just Owata a week or so after it was released.

What were your conceptual intentions for the short film?
Billy basically had a rough idea of what he wanted; he knew he wanted to do a wrestling video and he knew the characters he wanted. I took it from there and sort of moulded it into something with a bit of emotion and focussed it on what the wrestlers go through, what the experience is like in their world; it was something I wanted to come off as real, as something they really have to deal with.
The film, I saw some talk about it being degrading to women, and, you know, I completely disagree with that. It’s not meant to come off hurtful towards women - if anything it’s supposed to be empowering to women. It’s supposed to be like holding up a mirror for any women out there who are maybe letting themselves be doormats. There are things that happen, and they’ll happen whether you think they will or not. The women in the film, they’re treated like doormats, and they know all along, the guy, they know he’s a piece of shit and I tried to make it very, very apparent all along that he is, but some people just seemed to miss it. Men like him don’t change, but you know, you don’t have to put up with it.
When we were planning out the film, the concepts and everything, Billy and I, we knew there would be a facet of people who listen to The Smashing Pumpkins that wouldn’t be into it, and that wouldn’t get it. I’m okay with that. I mean, I’m never really worried about how things come across in reviews and Billy, I don’t think any of that stuff deters Billy. I doubt he even reads it - I’m a little younger so I still look once in a while, I could learn some wisdom from Billy in that area. Basically, he makes art that he’s happy with, and I think that’s why him and I got along so well. We both do it, we both make things that we’re happy with, and you know, if people like them too, that’s great, if they don’t, I don’t think it puts us off doing what we want to do.
It’s maybe why Billy gave me so much creative freedom as director. Of course, he definitely had ideas about the story, of how certain things would go, but I would say it was just a good collaboration between us, making the story something he’s proud of and happy with, and something I’m proud of and happy with.
I’ve got a lot of respect for the videos the band has done before, but going in to this, I didn’t really create any expectations for myself, because it’s a new project and it’s different. It’s pushing a different limit, one the band hasn’t done, so in that sense, I just tried to make it my own instead of trying to fit in with what they did before.

There’s a strong documentary feel to the film. Was it intentional?
What was really important to both Billy and I, was having it all come off as what’s real in the wrestling world. There’s some very real aspects that I tried to take from the girls, from their experiences, and to use it to sort of build on their characters.
I’ve always worked with a script, but this time, this time I just outlined what I wanted to get across. I don’t want to say it was unplanned, because I knew the mood and tone I wanted and I had short lists of things I wanted, but because I wanted it to be very real, I didn’t script the whole thing out in the sense of dialogue. Instead I had an idea of dialogue, but I was basically just helping the actors, the wrestlers, to build on what they’re already used to. I was really impressed with the job they did.
It was all filmed in two days. And all the locations too, like were pretty much found the two days before we shot, for the most part.
And wrestling. Billy knows just so much about wrestling. It was the fun part of this whole experience, learning about it from him, because Billy’s the last person in the world I sort of expected to learn about different aspects of wrestling from. The conversations we had about wrestling, he just went into complete detail and he knows so much about it. It was really helpful for my understanding and wanting to make it real. I got a crash course in wrestling from him!

What was it like working on this film as opposed to some of the pieces you’ve made?
It’s sort of a case-by-case basis creatively. Sometimes you’re dealing with major labels and they announce that they want very specific things and other times you have an artist that specifically wants you because they want you to do what you do. Obviously I prefer that, but I’ve been forced to work in the other world as well though.
Working with Billy, this experience, it would be at the top. For sure. In the sense that Billy is a rockstar, but personality-wise, he’s not. He’s just a very real guy, I get him on that person level and a lot of people that have achieved what he has, they don’t open themselves up on that level, even to someone collaborating with them on an art piece. Billy was just really open and I think that’s something that changed the experience and made it more meaningful for me. And when he saw the film, he loved it, he was really happy with it. We’re definitely going to try to do more stuff together. Actually, we’ve also just finished the music video version, to come out next week, I think. It’s more in line with what you might call a traditional music video. There’s no new footage or anything, it’s just edited down, for a shorter palate, for someone who wants to hear the song and maybe not go into the depths we did with the longer film.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Vaughn. Reason: Replaced the attachment with the article in the posting. Easier!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MonteLDS

Re: Owata Short Film - Robby Starbuck Interview 6 years 4 months ago #89702

i guess i need to read the forums here a little more often then i have.

good interview

Re: Owata Short Film - Robby Starbuck Interview 6 years 4 months ago #89704

come on, monte. don't you know thepumpkins.net is where it's at?

Re: Owata Short Film - Robby Starbuck Interview 6 years 4 months ago #89729

• ryon
  • Die
  • Bizarro Rebecca Black
Haha, the folks at Hipsters United must regularly check this site, because this interview is on there. And we are mentioned! :D
Chewbacca masks!

Re: Owata Short Film - Robby Starbuck Interview 6 years 4 months ago #89751

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
Another score for ThePumpkins.net!

TP.N - 1

HU - 0
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Re: Owata Short Film - Robby Starbuck Interview 6 years 4 months ago #89761

• PistolPete
  • Pumpkins > You
ryon wrote:
Haha, the folks at Hipsters United must regularly check this site, because this interview is on there. And we are mentioned! :D

I tipped them off. And also Monte's blog over at crestfallen.com.
D0 y0u f33|
|0v3 15 r34|?

Re: Owata Short Film - Robby Starbuck Interview 6 years 3 months ago #92434

• Glass And The Ghost Children
  • Depresso
  • If selling records, recording hit song, and being famous is the measure of greatness than Soulja Boy is the greatest
I don't know crap about the video for "Owata" because I watched thirty seconds of it and turned it off. I didn't want to ruin the song.
I don't mean to hurt anyone, I'm just speaking my personal opinion.

Re: Owata Short Film - Robby Starbuck Interview 6 years 3 months ago #92480

Glass And The Ghost Children wrote:
I don't know crap about the video for "Owata" because I watched thirty seconds of it and turned it off. I didn't want to ruin the song.

That's exactly what I did. But I go along with all the complaining about the video anyway ;)
Preparation for detonation...

Re: Owata Short Film - Robby Starbuck Interview 6 years 3 months ago #92495

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
epitome wrote:

That's exactly what I did. But I go along with all the complaining about the video anyway ;)

For me it was more like 3 minutes in when I turned it off. I think my IQ dropped even after a partial viewing though.
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Re: Owata Short Film - Robby Starbuck Interview 6 years 3 months ago #92557

• dreamelectric
  • Die
  • When your life is so so dreary, dream..electric
kjrain12 wrote:
epitome wrote:

For me it was more like 3 minutes in when I turned it off. I think my IQ dropped even after a partial viewing though.

Ditto. That was the worse music video SP has ever put out. Tarantula was pretty bad too, at least Billy was in that, Owata was just a fail. At least Billy knows that. Hopefully he won't do anything like that again.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.323 seconds

bye june |
Total: Members: 1 | Guests: 206 | Members List

Search