24January2020

ThePumpkins.net

TOPIC: June 19 = Oceania.

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114893

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
So the big question...what is a better album, Zeitgeist or Oceania?

Most will say Oceania but there must be some out there that like Zeitgeist more...right?
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114894

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
Zeitgeist easily. It was heavier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glass And The Ghost Children

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114896

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
Your jokes used to be better once, kjrain12.

It's like:
Do you prefer diving into a pile of shit or a clear blue ocean(ia) full of naked hot sluts.

DON greets the toilet divers :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: venison

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114898

I like Zeitgeist a lot, but Oceania would get my vote.

Zeitgeist is a great collection of rock songs, with poor production.

Oceania has equally good songs, a better album feel, better production and better vocals. And there's more of that SP innocent charm that was missing on Zeitgeist.
Preparation for detonation...

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114909

Yeah, I vote for Oceania too... there's no contest ;) I still like/love bits of Zeitgeist, but it also has some of my most hated SP songs of all time, so...yeah....
"Music is my boyfriend."

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114924

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
frankB wrote:
Zeitgeist easily. It was heavier.

Frankie, I can't tell if you're joking or not, haha. A reason like that isn't usually enough to serve as justification for something being better, for you at least. Maybe for a crazy metalhead it is.

@Don: I never thought of an analogy like that but I guess if you really like Oceania and really hate Zeitgeist, it works perfectly!
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114933

epitome wrote:
I like Zeitgeist a lot, but Oceania would get my vote.

Zeitgeist is a great collection of rock songs, with poor production.

Oceania has equally good songs, a better album feel, better production and better vocals. And there's more of that SP innocent charm that was missing on Zeitgeist.

Well stated.

It was posted earlier too about how Billy's vocals sit in the mix and to me, the Neu-Pumpkins feature a higher, drier positioning.

OT: where is Oceania on the charts now a few weeks later?

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114934

Ah - found it.

62 this week. 19 last week.

Oceania has done well on several charts.

No more chart talk... lol.

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114936

• Glass And The Ghost Children
  • Depresso
  • If selling records, recording hit song, and being famous is the measure of greatness than Soulja Boy is the greatest
Mary Star Of The Sea 10 / 10

The Future Embrace 9 / 10

Zeitgeist 7 / 10

American Gothic 10 / 10

Superchrist 10 / 10

Glow 9 / 10

Flow 9 / 10

If All Goes Wrong 10 / 10

The 20th Anniversary Tour 10 / 10

Songs For A Sailor 5 / 10

The Solstice Bare 8 / 10

Lightning Strikes 9 / 10

Owata 8 / 10

Oceania 9 / 10
I don't mean to hurt anyone, I'm just speaking my personal opinion.

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114959

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
^Damn glass you give out 10s like Willy Wonka gives out hard candy! :p

I wonder if Oceania will hold up well with the SP fanbase say, 5 years from now. If BC releases future material that blows Oceania away, it might not.

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114961

I was just wondering, how well is Oceania being received, generally? It seems to have gone down well with pretty much everyone on here, but what about other Pumpkins fans? And what about with critics?

Today someone told me that a UK newspaper named Oceania their "dud of the week". Seems odd because it's been out for a few weeks... plus it's an amazing album. I can understand not everyone liking it as much as I do, different tastes and all that, but I'm really surprised that it could be named dud of the week. So that got me wondering, as I sit here loving it, is it actually being generally snubbed by critics?

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114970

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
It got 3 and a half stars in our state paper. Wasn't the headline review, pretty short take, no BC interviews anywhere around. Times have changed since 2000.

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114972

Yeah. I don't care how famous or not they are. But I would like this album to score pretty well in reviews, as it deserves to do so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DON

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114991

• venison
  • Die
  • the return of slippin' jimmy
From most of the reviews I've seen, there seems to be a consensus that it's a pretty good album. 4 out of 5, 8 out of 10, that sort of range. Not perfect or amazing, but enjoyable and good. Opinions are way less divided than on Zitgeist too

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114993

Not bad, but I think it deserves better.

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114998

"I wonder if Oceania will hold up well with the SP fanbase say, 5 years from now. If BC releases future material that blows Oceania away, it might not."

Kjrain12, I think it will hold up with the fans, it's a top notch album. It's elements of Classic Smashing Pumpkins with a sweet new twist from the new lineup. I think it's so cool that among the dozens of 1990s bands that Smashing Pumpkins and Billy's music in general seems to be the one getting new fans everyday. A few weeks ago I saw a boy who couldn't be more than ten years old wearing a shirt with The Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness album cover on it.

"I was just wondering, how well is Oceania being received, generally? It seems to have gone down well with pretty much everyone on here, but what about other Pumpkins fans? And what about with critics?"

Epitome, Smashing Pumpkins and Billy will never make an album that will get great reviews again. The general consensus with most fans and music critics alike is that after Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness Smashing Pumpkins and Billy went down hill. This really pisses me off, because if you don't like Adore or Mary Star Of The Sea, you don't deserve the ears god gave you.
Wild horses we are born, .creatures worn than torn, mourning our way home
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glass And The Ghost Children

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #114999

Oceania is a decent record,not great,not bad. I dont think it has the staying power of MCIS,Siamese Dream but its good. Corgan wrote some great stuff during Zwan era and the solo Chicago Kid project but none of it got comercially released so it cant really be counted IMO. There isnt that same magic in any of the officially or commercially released material of recent. There just isnt. Its decent material but nothing thats great.Corgan can argue that its just fans stuck in 1995 but the truth is that the musicality,chord structures,production and concepts of the newer material just isnt there.
Oceania is OK but I find myself skipping some of it.To be honest I think the first part of Teargarden (A Song For A Son - Owata) is much better.

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #115000

I think One Diamond One Heart is just plain awful.Sounds like a Future Embrace outtake.I think the title track could have kept the intro that it had when played live,I think the last few tracks on it finally pick up a little bit. I think the reviews given have been fair,and in my oppinion the common consensus is that its a good album. Just not great.Some of it just feels stale though.Dried up versions of songs from 20 years ago.I think all fans were really hoping this to be the comeback album where he gets his groove back and I think by default alot of fans are raving about it giving it great reviews.I think Billy "still has it" in the sense of being able to write a song. I think from a technical standpoint he can compose and he knows how to play but there just doesnt seem to be that special ingredient there that nobody can put their finger on.

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #115001

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
Felt angst and felt sadness...that was something that drove o-Pumpkins.
Once my academic in literature told that "art must always be suffered".
That's what current SP lack - as great as they are.

Re: June 19 = Oceania. 7 years 6 months ago #115006

• Glass And The Ghost Children
  • Depresso
  • If selling records, recording hit song, and being famous is the measure of greatness than Soulja Boy is the greatest
kjrain12 wrote:
Damn Glass And The Ghost Children, you give out 10s like Willy Wonka gives out hard candy!

I gave five releases a 10 / 10 rating, that's not really that many when you consider I rated fourteen releases.

I have really come to the conclusion that people are far too hard on Billy

I don't think Billy will ever release an Album, Extended Play, or Single that will make everyone happy.

If you like an Album, Extended Play, or Single that's cool.

If not don't bitch about it and insult people who do.
I don't mean to hurt anyone, I'm just speaking my personal opinion.
Last Edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Glass And The Ghost Children.
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds

No members online
Total: Members: 0 | Guests: 33 | Members List

Search