• Fantastic
  • Great
  • Good
  • Mediocre
  • Subpar
  • Bad

TOPIC: Quasar

Quasar 7 years 7 months ago #113980

Please use this thread to post your impressions or opinions of track 1 of Oceania, Quasar.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Quasar 7 years 7 months ago #113995

• dreamelectric
  • Die
  • When your life is so so dreary, dream..electric
Right on or Ride on? I can't tell and I have not looked up lyrics yet. I'll wait until tomorrow to read over the lyrics.

Very good opener, can't wait to see this song live.

Yoda! Right on!

:D
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by dreamelectric.

Re: Quasar 7 years 7 months ago #114006

God! Right on
Krishna! Right on
Mark! Right on

To me this a song about remembering the dead (Mark Tulin and Sunlight Saxon) and the desire to know and understand God. The line I find most interesting is Yod He Vav He Om, as it shows a mix of spirituality within Billy. Y H V H is the Tetragrammaton, or the written name of the Hebrew god. Om is the sacred syllable of Hinduism, one of the texts (Katha Upanishad) stating that the person that knows Om will obtain everything they desire.

So the spiritual want and struggle is expressed in song, Billy shouting YHVH Om, begging to know god, made much deeper by the chaotic crashing instruments around him that represent the internal struggle as he voices this plea. This idea is furthered by his queries "Do I know you" and "Please allow me to say hello to you." He then throws out some lines as if in response to somebody, saying "Yes I understand, I know thy will, I am that man - Yes I, Yes I," which I find to be empowering and inspiring.

Of course I'll qualify myself and say that I could possibly be full of shit, but that's a good thing I think. It shows Billy's return to form in the lyrics department, instead of something plainly obvious or narrated, the lyrics are opaque and ambiguous, and could many possible meanings to them.
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Sikamikanico999.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 6And7And3And9

Re: Quasar 7 years 7 months ago #114008

• Audio Zen
  • Hell Bent for Hell
  • Got Drums!
Sikamikanico999 wrote:
God! Right on
Krishna! Right on
Mark! Right on

To me this a song about remembering the dead (Mark Tulin and Sunlight Saxon) and the desire to know and understand God. The line I find most interesting is Yod He Vav He Om, as it shows a mix of spirituality within Billy. Y H V H is the Tetragrammaton, or the written name of the Hebrew god. Om is the sacred syllable of Hinduism, one of the texts (Katha Upanishad) stating that the person that knows Om will obtain everything they desire.

So the spiritual want and struggle is expressed in song, Billy shouting YHVH Om, pleading to know god, wondering "Do I know you" and "Please allow me to say hello to you." He then throws out some lines as if in response to somebody, saying "Yes I understand, I know thy will, I am that man - Yes I, Yes I," which I find to be empowering and inspiring.

Of course I'll qualify myself and say that I could possibly be full of shit, but that's a good thing I think. It shows Billy's return to form in the lyrics department, instead of something plainly obvious or narrated, the lyrics are opaque and ambiguous, and could many possible meanings to them.

No, I think you are "right on" (see what I did there ;) ). Every time I hear this song I picture one of those "coexist" bumper stickers. Even an atheist like myself can appreciate the spiritual inclusiveness it trumpets.

Re: Quasar 7 years 7 months ago #114009

Audio Zen wrote:
Sikamikanico999 wrote:
God! Right on
Krishna! Right on
Mark! Right on

So the spiritual want and struggle is expressed in song, Billy shouting YHVH Om, pleading to know god, wondering "Do I know you" and "Please allow me to say hello to you." He then throws out some lines as if in response to somebody, saying "Yes I understand, I know thy will, I am that man - Yes I, Yes I," which I find to be empowering and inspiring.

No, I think you are "right on" (see what I did there ;) ). Every time I hear this song I picture one of those "coexist" bumper stickers. Even an atheist like myself can appreciate the spiritual inclusiveness it trumpets.

I agree. (also, high five, my fellow freethinker :D )

Re: Quasar 7 years 7 months ago #114050

Great music ruined by awful lyrics. And I don't specifically mean the religious aspect of it, all those "right ons" would be enough to spoil most songs. The only song I currently don't like - in fact it's one of the few SP songs I hate, only slightly better than Astral Planes.
Preparation for detonation...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glass And The Ghost Children

Re: Quasar 7 years 7 months ago #114054

I know I posted a list of many SP classics using repetition, where is it...

In defense of this song, I'll posit it's pretty amazing any meaning shows through, let alone an expansive/varied one, with the large amount of repetition used here. Besides, in thoroughbred rocker such as Quasar, vocals are little more than an instrument to keep the song going anyway.

But I'm not trying to change your mind Epitome, I'm just putting some perspective. :james

Re: Quasar 7 years 7 months ago #114063

Yeah, different perspectives are always good :)

It would be nice if this song would suddenly click for me and go from awful to great... but I can't see it happening. From my point of view though, at least they get the rubbish over with at the start and then I can enjoy the rest of the album :p

Re: Quasar 7 years 7 months ago #114068

• JonnyDaycase
  • Spazmatazz
  • Ex - Music Taste Champion
Love Quasar

Like the lyrics and the repetition

Best album opener in ages

The music is so amazing! Such a good riff!

Reminds me of Cherub crossed with Silverfuck
Think its time we learnt your time table/ditched the hover board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 6And7And3And9

Re: Quasar 7 years 7 months ago #114081

epitome wrote:
Yeah, different perspectives are always good :)

It would be nice if this song would suddenly click for me and go from awful to great... but I can't see it happening. From my point of view though, at least they get the rubbish over with at the start and then I can enjoy the rest of the album :p

Haha, yeah. Better to have an initial misstep than a combo breaker.

Re: Quasar 7 years 7 months ago #114090

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
Loving this tune so far! It's definitely the best choice for an opener. Full on Pumpkins assault. The lyrics may be slightly repetetive, but that doesn't take away the effectiveness of the delivery and the melodies.
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Re: Quasar 7 years 7 months ago #114190

Have to agree that it's great instrumentally, awful lyrically. The lyrics are a serious turnoff to me that in and of themselves make me want to not listen to the song. Which is sad, because that's probably the best guitar riff on the record.
Destroy the mind, destroy the body, but you cannot destroy the heart!

Tell me, tell me what you\\\'re after...I just wanna get there faster.

Re: Quasar 7 years 7 months ago #114224

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
ghostchild wrote:
Have to agree that it's great instrumentally, awful lyrically. The lyrics are a serious turnoff to me that in and of themselves make me want to not listen to the song. Which is sad, because that's probably the best guitar riff on the record.

Definitely agree on the probable best guitar riff. The lyrics are subpar but I don't find them so horrendous that it turns me off.
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Re: Quasar 7 years 7 months ago #114292

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
This is just an intro that delivers;
a 5 minutes long, overdone, yet perfectly set intro to what should become the Smashing Pumpkins first album in an eternal.

Re: Quasar 7 years 7 months ago #114300

Or... it sucks.

Re: Quasar 7 years 6 months ago #114307

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
epitome wrote:
Or... it sucks.

You shush! ;)

Re: Quasar 7 years 6 months ago #114310

kjrain12 wrote:
epitome wrote:
Or... it sucks.

You shush! ;)

:darcy

I was going to use the frowning Billy, but I can't see how to add the extra icons now...

Re: Quasar 7 years 6 months ago #114315

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
Finally I think this is the album's weakest track but still delivering.

Re: Quasar 7 years 6 months ago #114323

• Strayz1
  • Dummy Tum Tummy
  • Wish at 11:11
It's a bit overdone at 5 minutes but I do agree that it gets the job done in terms of an opener! It's loud, aggressive and has an awesome guitar riff! Despite maybe lacking the quality of other openers such as I Am One and The Everlasting Gaze, this is by no means a dud!
Lower Your Eyelids To Die With The Sun

Re: Quasar 7 years 6 months ago #114342

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
epitome wrote:
kjrain12 wrote:
epitome wrote:
Or... it sucks.

You shush! ;)

:darcy

I was going to use the frowning Billy, but I can't see how to add the extra icons now...

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Did Murder maybe forget to add the button when he redid the site?
Time to create page: 0.349 seconds

No members online
Total: Members: 0 | Guests: 10 | Members List

Search