17June2018

ThePumpkins.net

You are here: Home Forum Categories The Smashing Pumpkins / Billy Corgan Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night

TOPIC: Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127076

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
Amazon frequently sends emails out to customers telling them to review products. I know, because I'm an author. I get reviews like this all the time.

Rating: 5 stars

Review: I haven't read this book.
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by frankB.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127077

• Audio Zen
  • Hell Bent for Hell
  • Got Drums!
Yes, who knows about the ratings. However, I do think this will be a bigger hit with the more mainstream non-diehard fans. While the consensus here among the harcore fans is that Oceania is the better album (with which I still disagree), I think the casual fan will like this one better.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127078

Zeitgeist > Oceania > Monuments to an Elegy

My dream track listing for Day for Night would be something like this:

01. As Rome Burns
02. The Dream Machine
03. The March Hare
04. Circular Change
05. The Leaving Lament
06. Gossamer (30+ Minutes)

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127079

frankB wrote:
Amazon frequently sends emails out to customers telling them to review products. I know, because I'm an author. I get reviews like this all the time.

Rating: 5 stars

Review: I haven't read this book.

I usually ignore those emails from Amazon, but yeah, I suppose some people follow the link and blindly rate the product. Although it's still weird how someone rating it 7 (presumably out of 10) equates that to 5/5 stars. But maybe their rating was out of 7. Anyway, it doesn't really matter, just something I noticed.

Audio Zen: I agree, I think this album will probably be appreciated more by more casual listeners, it is fairly catchy music that you can stick on whilst your brain turns off and the whole half hour goes by without an emotion being stirred. Which is probably part of the recipe for mainstream music :) Certainly I could see Run2Me being a decent single, as it is undeniably catchy. The repetitiveness that I find a bit annoying after repeated listens will probably help it stick in peoples heads (mine included).
Preparation for detonation...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Audio Zen

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127080

superchrist wrote:

01. As Rome Burns
02. The Dream Machine
03. The March Hare
04. Circular Change
05. The Leaving Lament

I totally agree with your album rankings.

And that track list would actually be really good. I can't totally remember Circular Change or The Leaving Lament off the top of my head, but I really liked As Rome Burns, The Dream Machine, The March Hare (maybe my favourite SP thing since 2007) and Gossamer (although I'd go with a shorter, more concise version, personally). I'd also be open to leaving Tiberius, Being Beige, Anaise! and Monuments on there, but ideally with a rawer sound.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127081

epitome wrote:
superchrist wrote:

01. As Rome Burns
02. The Dream Machine
03. The March Hare
04. Circular Change
05. The Leaving Lament

I totally agree with your album rankings.

And that track list would actually be really good. I can't totally remember Circular Change or The Leaving Lament off the top of my head, but I really liked As Rome Burns, The Dream Machine, The March Hare (maybe my favourite SP thing since 2007) and Gossamer (although I'd go with a shorter, more concise version, personally). I'd also be open to leaving Tiberius, Being Beige, Anaise! and Monuments on there, but ideally with a rawer sound.

Circular Change

The Leaving Lament

The following user(s) said Thank You: epitome

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127084

• Audio Zen
  • Hell Bent for Hell
  • Got Drums!
superchrist wrote:

01. As Rome Burns
02. The Dream Machine
03. The March Hare
04. Circular Change
05. The Leaving Lament

This would be great, but I'll be shocked beyond shocked if there is anything on DFN that we've heard before (other than Burnt Orange Black). Billy's biggest mistake is not putting out a full album with these American Gothic/Residency era songs. So much good material was just wasted. Some really good stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epitome, superchrist

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127085

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
I also agree with the album's order. The thing is, I don't really consider Monuments that comparable to the others, based on length alone.

It never stood a chance.

For Day For Night - Here is my ideal imaginary tracklist -

1. Rise of Articulation 7:09
2. Winter of God 4:21
3. Burnt Chalice 3:38
4. The Nightmare Door 6:17
5. Sprayed In a Thousand Directions 4:49
6. Dark Symphony Pt. 1 8:16
7. And The Ferris Wheel Crashes 5:08
8. Found Doll 2:46
9. Purple Shroud 3:28
10. Ovalhead 4:52
11. Dark Symphony Pt 2 19:30
12. Scars Like Green Bark 5:23

Sounds good right? And I"m not even Billy Corgan

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127087

frankB wrote:

Filth :james

The Dream Machine was one of the more recent songs, wasn't it? After Oceania, I mean. I wonder if that could be on Day For Night, as it did seem a bit more experimental. That said, Burnt Orange Black is supposed to be on Day For Night now and that didn't strike me as being very experimental at all, so I'm not really sure what style to expect on the next album.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127089

epitome wrote:
frankB wrote:

The Dream Machine was one of the more recent songs, wasn't it? After Oceania, I mean. I wonder if that could be on Day For Night, as it did seem a bit more experimental. That said, Burnt Orange Black is supposed to be on Day For Night now and that didn't strike me as being very experimental at all, so I'm not really sure what style to expect on the next album.

"The Dream Machine", which was originally titled "Black Sunshine", was played on the Oceania tour. I'm not a fan of "Burnt Orange-Black". Like everything else on Monuments, the music is good, but the lyrics are too repetitive and lazy.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127092

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
epitome wrote:
frankB wrote:

I forgot to include The Sex Machine is a bonus track in Japan.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127100

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
frankB wrote:
I also agree with the album's order. The thing is, I don't really consider Monuments that comparable to the others, based on length alone.

It never stood a chance.

For Day For Night - Here is my ideal imaginary tracklist -

1. Rise of Articulation 7:09
2. Winter of God 4:21
3. Burnt Chalice 3:38
6. Dark Symphony Pt. 1 8:16
7. And The Ferris Wheel Crashes 5:08
8. Found Doll 2:46
11. Dark Symphony Pt 2 19:30
12. Scars Like Green Bark 5:23

Sounds good right? And I"m not even Billy Corgan

:D
No, that's gonna be the proper track list:

1. Pale Shadows (7:56)
2. Beauty (3:33)
3. Regina Rexis III (5:32)
4. Dollhouse (2:34)
5. Perpetual Star Gliss (8:45)
6. T.A.T. (4:44)
7. Dance With The Lamia (3:56)
8. Winter Sun Overhaul (7:56)
9. Termina 564 (2:31)
10. Lord Of Darkness (6:66)
11.Woodland Ode (2:43)
12. Cheesy CGI Shooting Stars (1:34)
13. Darkest Hour Of Paine (3:45)
14. Sinister Liquids Of Broken Chances In My Head (6:43)
15. The Abyss (5:54)

[Japan Bonus Track: 16. Here Comes The Paine (3:13)]

Here's the artwork:

The first 100 preorders will receive a limited bust of Billy's head (like seen in the If All Goes Wrong feature), an autograph by Billy and his pet hamster, two boxes of Billy's favourite special Zuzu's tea (Fairy Weed and Baldy Promptly) and special liner notes by the B-Man, concerning the album's concept which is based on Billy's evil stepaunt who was a smoker.

Now in all honesty, I do really feel like their should have been an Adore era song called "Pale Shadows".
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by DON.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epitome, frankB

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127101

DON wrote:
The first 100 preorders will receive a limited bust of Billy's head (like seen in the If All Goes Wrong feature), an autograph by Billy and his pet hamster, two boxes of Billy's favourite special Zuzu's tea (Fairy Weed and Baldy Promptly) and special liner notes by the B-Man, concerning the album's concept which is based on Billy's evil stepaunt who was a smoker.

:D Brilliant!

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127102

If more thought had been put into the lyrics on "Dorian", that track could have been really awesome. It's a shame.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127103

SP currently rocking #5 on iTunes album chart. THANK YOU to everyone who's supporting! We love ya. Kimmel tonight, SF tomorrow, more to come

I guess it worked then...

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127104

• EasternMind
  • Spacer
  • After enlightenment, the laundry!
It took a while for the fan base to trust Nicole and Mike, and I thought they had really proven themselves. I had definitely grown to enjoy the unique dynamic that they all had in 2010. Nicole is an amazing bassist! And Mike was obviously inspired by Jimmy but with his own twist.

Honestly I think Nicole and Mike couldn't get behind the new songs Billy wanted to record, and so Billy just nixed them from the band, because after all he's the demi-rock-god and they're just his pawns.... I can understand the fact that Billy would only want band members that like his music, but back in the 90s, with the original lineup, he was powerless to "get rid of them" like he has the new members. Hell, how many bored expressions have we seen James make? Billy couldn't do anything about it back then because they were such a part of the image. Now that he has claimed Pumpkins as a solo act he discards bandmates on a whim, he doesn't think he needs them.

Everyone who knows me here can attest to the fact that I have always stuck by Pumpkins and defended them. But this album really crushed any romanticism I had left for the band. I've forced myself to listen to Monuments from beginning to end four times now, and I couldn't be more disgusted. There are moments that sound so absurd I can't help but scoff aloud. I'm blown away by the fact that there isn't a single guitar solo on this album! The songs just repeat dull half baked choruses endlessly as if that is all you need to make a good song, especially with such weak repetitive lyrics. I'm tired of hearing how Billy "feels alright" or "needs our love" or "feels our love" or his "love is strange" or "lovers are strange" or "come on" or "don't ya" this and "don't ya" that...
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by EasternMind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: superchrist

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127105

EasternMind wrote:
So..... How about the fact that Run2Me is the longest song on the new album? :dead

Yeah, and it's also the worst song on the whole album. I can dig "Tiberius", "Being Beige", "Anaise!", and "One and All (We Are)", but after that it all goes downhill very fast. This album is without a doubt the Pumpkins' worst.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EasternMind

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127106

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
I had a cool talk with a co-worker about SP today and we both agreed on how stock and full on life-support SP really sound on Monuments.
You know that I feel like SP went downhill ever since their reunion and now they're clearly on the bottom of the barrel, artistically I mean, since Zeitgeist still remains the worst of their albums to me.
Other than Zeitgeistm which was a disgustingly cold, emotionless and lifeless modern rock record, Monuments sounds like the complete sellout to me.
I don't mind that there aren't any solos, I don't mind that all the songs have radio length at best and I don't even mind that there isn't any band left.
What I do mind, however, is the lazy writing that hasn't anything to do with SP.
I was relistening to Siamese Dream today and we all know that this always seemed like original SP's "worst" album to me.
Production wise, it's just a pop-rock album like Monuments but the writing is leagues better than Billy's attempt of songwriting these days.
I still can't stand that Butch Vig made SD sound like it was recorded solely to show-off his expensive equipment, but songs like Soma, Spaceboy, Hummer or Mayonaise, hell, they fucking rule!
There's so much colours and emotions, every word sounds like it was heartfelt by Billy, every guitar track, everything Jimmy plays, it all makes perfect sense and it makes you FEEL something.
New SP are just run-of-the-mill 101-radio pop with no meaning and without any single emotion.
They fucked it up in the beginning with Zeitgeist, they desperately tried to recreate their old magic with Oceania and then they totally lost it with Monuments.
I wonder what would have happened if Billy would have recorded a proper sequel to The Future Embrace as Billy Corgan instead of reforming SP.
Maybe he would have been hailed as a mature and insightful artist by everyone...seems like that's the last thing Billy wants, though...
It's such a shame...how could it come to this?
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by DON.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127107

I played Monuments in the office last week - it was only about my 2nd or 3rd proper listen to it. I said something about it not sounding particularly good and a co-worker agreed.

To be fair, they mostly listen to Queen, ELO and other 70s/80s rock like that. But then I suppose Monuments would probably be the SP album they'd like the most.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 6 months ago #127116

No, Billy! If you want to write dark, prog rock again, then do it, damn it!

The following user(s) said Thank You: DON, frankB, caman
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds

No members online
Total: Members: 0 | Guests: 392 | Members List

Search