15October2018

ThePumpkins.net

You are here: Home Forum Categories The Smashing Pumpkins / Billy Corgan Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night

TOPIC: Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 8 months ago #127642

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
The interview is another proof for my theory that Billy doesn't know when he's good and when he isn't and that he completely lost touch with reality, the fans and what makes music exciting.
God, this is so embarrassing:
:billy "No, no, Monuments is no 3-Star album! All the people on planet earth must be wrong about this! Lame retort pop rock with a ball-less production and atrocious lyrics is the best thing I've ever released!" :roll

How old is Billy now? 13 years? 15 maybe?
:billy "I've never gotten the credit I deserved!"

Right, like millions of sold albums, being hailed as one of the 90s most creative rock musicians, having released masterpieces like Mellon Collie and MACHINA surely means never having gotten any credit...should we start calling him Jesus Christ from now on?
So embarrassing, the way he behaves...
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by DON.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: venison, epitome, frankB, RottingApples

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 8 months ago #127643

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
Yeah, I read that article when it came out. One of BCs biggest meltdowns.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 8 months ago #127644

All of the press that Billy did for Monuments was horrible. Quite an embarrassing time to be a fan, unfortunately.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epitome

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 8 months ago #127652

• MMH
  • Rachel
Ok, Billy is right to say that nearly all of SP Albums were partly rated bad and even as a big friend from "Monuments..."
I don´t think it will grow or will get a masterpiece sometimes.
"Monuments..." for me is a diverting album to me, the first album of Billy´s Music that makes fun to hear.
"Zwan" used to be fun but it was ridiculous.
But I must admit, that I don´t wan´t to hear too much fun-music from Billy. I want to have more songs for the soundtrack of my life like "love is suicide".

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 8 months ago #127653

superchrist wrote:
PARLEZ-VOUS/ALBUM UPDATE PLUS THOUGHTS ON ‘CANDIDE’ AND SP TOURS

SIDDHARTHA, much contested and with hindsight, a silly storm, is now ready for release. Meaning the music has been edited and is being sent to the vinyl production plant. It’ll be 5-discs (or about 200 minutes), with the compliment of beautiful cover art by Linda Strawberry. So keep watch if you’re interested, as we’ll probably set up an email list soon to gauge how limited the edition should run. My guess would be somewhere between 350-500 copies total; as in there wouldn’t be a second press given the costs involved. But like the MTAE green-vinyl that Zuzu’s sold exclusively, all will be hand-numbered and signed. As well as being housed uniquely, and so on.

What the hell happened to the limited vinyl run of all the Gish demos that he went on about last year? I would gladly fork over big $$$ for that, or anything else from the original SPRC idea. I couldn't give less shits about a 5 LP Siddhartha run.
The following user(s) said Thank You: venison

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 7 months ago #127663

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
Another article.

Q: Is the music important to you while you're making it?
A: It's very difficult to feel like it's important. I feel like somebody with vaudevillian skills facing the advent of the movie business. Somebody's going: "Hey, look, it's really good that you can do that trick with the dog, but it doesn't really mean anything anymore."
Q: So why continue? You've got other stuff going on, including a teahouse in suburban Chicago and a new musical that recently premiered.
A: I'm plotting. I feel like I started something – a conversation – when I brought the band back in 2006, and I want to finish that conversation. I don't want to look back in 20 years and say, "Why didn't you finish?" So I feel like one more record – the one after this one – that'll be the end of the conversation.
Q: Monuments is surprisingly upbeat, given your rather bleak view of the world. How'd these buoyant themes and catchy choruses happen?
A: Because I told myself to make this record in exchange for making the other record. So it's like this is the be-nice record and the other is the be-not-nice record. And it's actually shaping up that way, although the original version of the be-not-nice record was kind of prettier and darker – more like Adore. But as I go through this process, the be-not-nice is becoming be-really-not-nice. I'm totally ready to go there now.

Read more: www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/smash...g.html#ixzz3RzxMdJhG

Sounds like Day For Night really will be the end of the pumpkins.

Sounds like he's gotten sick of being a musician in today's world.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 7 months ago #127664

• DON
  • Die
The Drama Queen Of Pumpkinsland has spoken.
At least he's self-aware enough to notice that he hasn't had anything new to say for years by now.
Day For Night 2.0 will be the end of SP?
It was about time.
I only wish he would finally record the be-not-horrible record...

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 7 months ago #127665

"So I feel like one more record – the one after this one – that'll be the end of the conversation"

That could mean two things. He could mean one more record after this one, talking about Monuments. Or he could mean one more record after Day For Night, "this one" being the one he's currently working on, not the one that was released in December.

But yes, it's about time SP came to an end really. Presuming Day For Night won't be particularly good, it's a shame that SP will have such an unimpressive ending... on the other hand, if somehow Day For Night turns out to be a true return to form, it'll be a shame that the band ends just when it looks like Billy's suddenly got his groove back.
Preparation for detonation...

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 7 months ago #127666

• DON
  • Die
There'll sure be some solo output without all the SP-pressure tacked to it after the end of SP sooner or later.
THAT'S what I'm looking forward to! :)

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 7 months ago #127698

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
Well, I saw the Pumpkins last night.

It was a good show. They played almost all of the hit singles which seemed to keep the crowd happy. In between those there weren't really any surprises. Glass and the Ghost Children was one highlight. United States was the best song of the night. Very loud, very heavy. United States had a new ending which went off much harder and longer than any previous version I heard. Amazing.

The monuments songs didn't hold up against the rest. Like ... Being Beige was passable. Drum + Fife was missing the flute so the song didn't sound right. Monuments was just bad, like the keys just came in way too high pitched. One and All was okay.

They only played for around 100 minutes which was disappointing. I looked at the previous years and they played at least 2 hours for each show since the reunion (and I'm sure they played 2 hours during the original lineup).

Fame was the encore and I hate that song. Very, very poor choice for encore.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 7 months ago #127702

Unless they come directly to my home city, I probably won't be traveling to see this incarnation. I'm sorry, but the 2011 show that I saw was amazing. Unless the original line-up plays again, I highly doubt Billy will top it for me. Perfect setlist, perfect segues, atmosphere, energy...just such an enjoyable show.

Throw into the hat the fact that I saw him do a retrospective set at Ravinia in August, and how wonderful an experience that was...

Yeah. No desire to see him play with Jeff, Rage &The Killers hybrid line-up.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 7 months ago #127703

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
A lot of bands you'll go see these days do the 90 minutes and leave.

With newer bands that is perfectly fine, but not bands who have been around for 20 + years. It just reaks of doing the bare minimum.

And I know why they only played for as long as they did and why the setlists aren't varied much at all.

It's because of the 2 new members who have to start from scratch to learn the songs!

It was still a good show, but they could have done so much more if they wanted to. Just like the new album.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 7 months ago #127707

frankB wrote:
A lot of bands you'll go see these days do the 90 minutes and leave.

With newer bands that is perfectly fine, but not bands who have been around for 20 + years. It just reaks of doing the bare minimum.

And I know why they only played for as long as they did and why the setlists aren't varied much at all.

It's because of the 2 new members who have to start from scratch to learn the songs!

It was still a good show, but they could have done so much more if they wanted to. Just like the new album.

Billy has also been harping on the modern society's short attention span. Thus why we have a 9 song album and a short setlist live. Like you said, I think it's a poor excuse to do the bare minimum. The Zeitgeist tour was awesome, not only due to the variety of the songs, but they were playing for 3 hours.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 7 months ago #127708

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
Yeah concerts 2007 - 2008 were fantastic. They catered to almost everything that was left out of the final Machina shows. They lifted the bar for the band and with shows like the 20th Anniversary Tour and If All Goes Wrong reinvigorated my belief that Pumpkins were the best band in the world.

That was the height of SP in some sense. Okay other highs were the Mellon Collie Tour, and the final Machina shows, but that 2007 - 2008 era was a worthy sequel to those masterpieces etched in time.

2010 was terrible, an onslaught of teargarden + the hits. I don't think anyone was ready.

In 2011 before Oceania was released the Oceania songs were fucking a million times better than they appeared on the album and they were playing diehard fan favorite songs like Thru The Eyes of Ruby, Window Paine and For Martha. What the hell happened?

They got greedy touring with playing the full Oceania at the front of every show in 2012 and it's all just buried by now...

If they don't reform the band properly we'll never see the shows of the past again. Yeah I know. It won't happen.

It's not that the show was bad or anything - it just felt like a greatest hits show + some random songs off Monuments + some other songs that no one was truly craving. (+ fucking Fame which is the shittest song ever. I wonder if BC even remembers 98's Transmission and Nightboat... how a cover is supposed to sound like...)

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 7 months ago #127712

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
www.nme.com/news/smashing-pumpkins/83143

So now Corgan is against pop music, and wants his fellow rockers to join his crusade against it.

This is quite a turn around from things he's said in the past including that he wanted to be a judge on American Idol. Oh yeah, and a little album called Monuments to an elegy.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 7 months ago #127713

• DON
  • Die
Thinking in genres is bullshit.
Musicians should write and play whatever they feel like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: plasmate74, caman

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 7 months ago #127717

Here's the full interview. It's actually not that bad. The talk was mainly about the vacuousness of the pop music world and trying to stay away from that kind of behaviour. Not so much about not making 'pop music'.

The following user(s) said Thank You: epitome, frankB, caman

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 7 months ago #127718

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
Good interview. He continues to say the next album will be the last one. I wished they pressed him on what he would do with himself after that.

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 7 months ago #127720

Yeah, come on Billy, time to rock!
Preparation for detonation...

Monuments to an Elegy & Day for Night 3 years 7 months ago #127728

• MMH
  • Rachel
I think the new songs works very well live:

Time to create page: 0.350 seconds

No members online
Total: Members: 0 | Guests: 395 | Members List

Search