20September2018

ThePumpkins.net

You are here: Home Forum Categories The Smashing Pumpkins / Billy Corgan Shiny And Oh So Bright, Vol. 1/ LP: No Past, No Future, No Sun
  • Page:

TOPIC: Shiny And Oh So Bright, Vol. 1/ LP: No Past, No Future, No Sun

Shiny And Oh So Bright, Vol. 1/ LP: No Past, No Future, No Sun 6 days 20 hours ago #129575

So, turns out there is a new album on the way (unless this just constitutes as 1 long EP):

"Shiny And Oh So Bright, Vol. 1/ LP: No Past, No Future, No Sun"

Release Date: November 15, 2018

Tracklist:

1. Knights of Malta
2. Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts)
3. Travels
4. Solara
5. Alienation
6. Marchin' On
7. With Sympathy
8. Seek and You Shall Destroy

I'm curious if this is 1 of the 2 EPs Corgan had talked about earlier in the year, or if it's both EPs mashed into one. I'm definitely intrigued as to what all is coming down the pipeline...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Shiny And Oh So Bright, Vol. 1/ LP: No Past, No Future, No Sun 6 days 20 hours ago #129577

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface

Shiny And Oh So Bright, Vol. 1/ LP: No Past, No Future, No Sun 6 days 19 hours ago #129580

I just listened to Silver Sometimes (Ghosts). Very nice. If all 8 tracks on the EP are of the standard of this and Solara then this should easily be the best SP release since Zeitgeist.
Preparation for detonation...

Shiny And Oh So Bright, Vol. 1/ LP: No Past, No Future, No Sun 6 days 19 hours ago #129581

It would be nice if there were one or two longer tracks in there too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frankB

Shiny And Oh So Bright, Vol. 1/ LP: No Past, No Future, No Sun 6 days 5 hours ago #129582

• EasternMind
  • Spacer
  • After enlightenment, the laundry!
Silvery Sometimes!! Reminds me of a mix between 1979 and TheFutureEmbrace. Also feels like a James Iha song that Billy is singing on, I dig it! Nice to hear a simple melody drone solo instead of a rip your face off shredding one. Sometimes less is better!

A return to form but also definitely a product of the times. I find this song really charming but it also seems to miss the mark for me. On the other hand, I think it's a perfect radio single for today's generation (for better or worse)...

:james

Shiny And Oh So Bright, Vol. 1/ LP: No Past, No Future, No Sun 5 days 12 hours ago #129583

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
Silvery Sometimes hasn't clicked for me yet. Too generic. Not enough variation in the song. Lacking hooks. Sounds like they're going for feels but they miss it.

Two songs down from the new album. I'd put both of them in the same category as Being Beige, Anti-Hero and the WPC solo record. Trying but they miss. So yes, I can point to many songs on Monuments that are better than these two songs, and that is disappointing to say the least.

Shiny And Oh So Bright, Vol. 1/ LP: No Past, No Future, No Sun 4 days 22 hours ago #129584

Silvery Sometimes is a large step forward from the half-assed phoned-in lyrics that have plagued the Pumpkins for a very long time. At least Billy is playing with metaphor in this one ("snap like a dragon", "spit like a poet's gun" are particularly interesting lines), if only he could graduate back to clever simile that would be excellent ("morphine cities" says paragraphs of sentiment with just two words). He needs to fucking stop with the vagueness of "its" and nail down specifically what is being said, that is the other lyrical problem that is still present in this one and has been as far back as Machina. Even in fantastic songs like Aeronaut, they only make sense lyrically if you know the subject of them externally - if a listener dropped in and listened to Aeronaut with no idea that Billy had a son, then the lyrics would have zero impact since nothing in them points to a concept, nothing links up the lines. We're in the middle, ghosts? What the fuck does that even mean? In the middle of what? Who's we? What's going on? Snap like a dragon in relation to what? Why? Rathen than painting a grand portrait like Billy was so skilled at doing years ago, each line is its own little tryptych with no clear relation to the others. Since the lyrics don't even have a central concept to tie the action to, all of this surface level pretty prose has no core, no weight. All style and no substance. Still, that's better than neither, as has been the case for a while. Leagues above Solara lyrically, thank god there is still some kind of spark there.

As for the music, the song has the cool nostalgic summer vibe of 1979 and Pennies and it's really great in that regard, the production is also good and each instrument can be heard properly in the mix, instead of the vocals drowning everything like in Solara/Zeitgeist.
Last Edit: 4 days 22 hours ago by Sikamikanico999.

Shiny And Oh So Bright, Vol. 1/ LP: No Past, No Future, No Sun 4 days 17 hours ago #129585

I like Silvery Sometimes much more than Solara. Better lyrics for one. Hopefully, all the other songs on the album are at least as good as this one.

Shiny And Oh So Bright, Vol. 1/ LP: No Past, No Future, No Sun 4 days 11 hours ago #129589

Have to say, like Sik and Plasmate, I'm also happily surprised by the lyrics in Silvery Sometimes; some really nice lines (although I also thought Solara had better lyrics than a lot of their post 2007 stuff).

I wonder if the musical similarity to 1979 was intentional? I guess it must have been. I like how it's their but not dominating the song though.

Shiny And Oh So Bright, Vol. 1/ LP: No Past, No Future, No Sun 3 days 17 hours ago #129591

RottingApples wrote:
I'm curious if this is 1 of the 2 EPs Corgan had talked about earlier in the year, or if it's both EPs mashed into one. I'm definitely intrigued as to what all is coming down the pipeline...

If most of the songs are around 4 minutes then I guess this will only be about 30 minutes long, which I guess could make it an "EP". Then again, Monuments wasn't much longer and that was classed as an album.

Shiny And Oh So Bright, Vol. 1/ LP: No Past, No Future, No Sun 1 day 11 hours ago #129599

epitome wrote:
RottingApples wrote:

If most of the songs are around 4 minutes then I guess this will only be about 30 minutes long, which I guess could make it an "EP". Then again, Monuments wasn't much longer and that was classed as an album.

A recent Facebook post refers to the "forthcoming LP", so I guess it is being considered an album. I presume it will be another fairly short album like Monuments then, unless a few of the songs are surprisingly long. Still, album, EP, doesn't really matter - let's just hope it's good music.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds

No members online
Total: Members: 0 | Guests: 206 | Members List

Search