13December2019

ThePumpkins.net

• Page:

TOPIC: Drums.

Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109660

• Dorovo
  • Die
  • Happy End of the World
So I've decided to start this little project and see how it goes. I'll record a song on drums and post it to my soundcloud page, for the purposes of collaborations or sampling..or maybe just 'cuz I love to drum and I get bored. Hopefully this will be a cool experience and a marker for my growth as a drummer. I'll bump this thread each time I record a cover.

My soundcloud page: www.soundcloud.com/dorovo

Also, while we're at it, y'all can discuss your favorite drummers or good drumming songs. Have at it.
"I said rat in a cage, not monkey from a fucking wire!" - Billy Corgan

"You have absolutely smashing pumpkins!" - Billy Corgan

uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Billy_Corgan
Last Edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Murder McMurderson.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109663

Nice one Dorovo. Definitely interested to see what you come up with!

On drummers. Jimmy C is, of course, up there at the top of the drummers list. I've also always appreciated drummers who created percussion that served the song and weren't showy and who were really precise in their performances. A couple reasons why I think Phil Selway, for instance, is a good drummer. I also greatly admire Dave Grohl when he dons the drummer hat (is there anything the man cant do). His work on the albums Songs For The Deaf, With Teeth, and the recent Them Crooked Vultures album, is some of the best drumming in recent alternative music, IMO.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109677

Now this is my kinda thread. Cool idea. Sounds pretty good, Dorovo.

Brann Dailor from Mastadon is just insanely good, and my favorite drummer out there right now. Mind boggling speed and precision behind a lot of the stuff he does. His rolls are just sickly fast (both with his hands and his feet), and he picks really interesting ways to accent the base drum beat....And he gets a whole lot out of a relatively small kit.

I also like this chick a lot. She plays Tool covers, rocks hardcore, and her boobies are fun to look at too. :D

Destroy the mind, destroy the body, but you cannot destroy the heart!

Tell me, tell me what you\\\'re after...I just wanna get there faster.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109681

• Dorovo
  • Die
  • Happy End of the World
If I woke up out of coma and Meytal Cohen was by my side insisting that she was my girlfriend....I wouldn't argue one bit. I like this guy's Tool covers though. Provides some real insight on how to play stuff.

One of my favorite drummers is Nick D'Virgilio. He's a beast. Listen to the breakdown at 4:05.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109704

Danny Carey is just such an incredible badass. That dude in the vid you posted holds his own with him pretty damn good. It's not 100% perfect but that's a hard ass song to play. I love that part in the middle where he's just all the hell over that kit but the snare pattern stays constant throughout. Just constantly coming back to the middle to hit that snare even though he's doing speed rolls and fills all over the place. Awesome stuff. I dig the overhead camera angle too.

How about Tim "herb" Alexander, from Primus? He's damn good.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109717

• Dorovo
  • Die
  • Happy End of the World
ghostchild wrote:
Danny Carey is just such an incredible badass. That dude in the vid you posted holds his own with him pretty damn good. It's not 100% perfect but that's a hard ass song to play. I love that part in the middle where he's just all the hell over that kit but the snare pattern stays constant throughout. Just constantly coming back to the middle to hit that snare even though he's doing speed rolls and fills all over the place. Awesome stuff. I dig the overhead camera angle too.

I could never get into Primus. That drummer is pretty good though.

I'm thinking about getting a double pedal. Hmm...Any thoughts?

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109740

• Glass And The Ghost Children
  • Depresso
  • If selling records, recording hit song, and being famous is the measure of greatness than Soulja Boy is the greatest
Lars Ulrich, sucks!
I don't mean to hurt anyone, I'm just speaking my personal opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dorovo

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109755

Dorovo wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a double pedal. Hmm...Any thoughts?

It expands your possibilities 10-fold, if you can learn how to play it right. I had a really hard time with it, and still do struggle to do it right. And of course, you sound like an idiot if you try it but can't pull it off. hahaha I use mine mainly as an accentuating piece...and occasionally use it to do a sustained bass roll....but I can't play those very fast at all. Just like with anything though...keep practicing with it and you'll get better at it. I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109756

Simon Phillips is insane too. He's one of those drummers, though, that kind of loses my interest because he's just TOO good and I know I could never even dream of doing most of the things he does.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109757

I also really dig this one from Mike Mangini. His facial expressions rule, and he creates SO DAMN MANY polyrhythyms here.

Last Edit: 7 years 9 months ago by ghostchild.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109793

ghostchild wrote:

I've always loved Primus and their drummer Tim "herb" Alexander is awesome! As is the marvel that is Les Claypool and his slap bass playing.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109794

ghostchild wrote:

I also like this chick a lot. She plays Tool covers, rocks hardcore, and her boobies are fun to look at too. :D

Nice. Chick's who play drums are hot (I'll have to fight you for her Dorovo...that is, on the off chance we both wake up from a coma at the same time in the same hospital). She's got good taste in music too.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109797

• Depresso
  • If selling records, recording hit song, and being famous is the measure of greatness than Soulja Boy is the greatest
I think when if you can't go wild or be technical you should keep it simple, there's nothing sadder than a drummer who can't trying and failing. Of course if you're still trying to prefect drumming then do what you want.

Dorovo, I would like to hear some of you're work. If I ever feel like I'm good enough I'm gonna post Mayonnaise and Soma Acoustic, and maybe you could rip them add drums and re-post it. I' don't know just thinking out loud.

Dave Grohl, is a way better drummer than he is a singer or guitarist. He was great with Nirvana.

Is that a picture of Mr. Corgan?
Last Edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Glass And The Ghost Children.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109798

• Depresso
The drummer from one of my favorite bands Poets Of The Fall.

The band really consist of Marko Saaresto (lead vocals, keyboard, and violin), Olli Tukiainen (lead guitar, rhythm guitar, base guitar, and backing vocals), Jani Snellman (drums). Every since their second album Markus Kaarlonen's (keyboards, production) part has been dwindling, he's not that great at production.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109799

• Depresso
The drummer from one of my favorite bands Poets Of The Fall.

The band really consist of Marko Saaresto (lead vocals, keyboard, and violin), Olli Tukiainen (lead guitar, rhythm guitar, base guitar, and backing vocals), Jani Snellman (drums). Every since their second album Markus Kaarlonen's (keyboards, production) part has been dwindling, he's not that great at production. He never put Jani Snellman's great drumming high enough in the mix, it wasn't until their third album that I realized that Jani Snellman was really a good drummer.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109846

• Dorovo
  • Die
  • Happy End of the World
First draft of Pennies is up! It's not perfect bc it's my very first crack at it. Mainly I would love it if you guys listened to it and gave me feedback about the mastering, recording, tuning, etc. Any suggestions you think would be helpful. Cheers mates!

soundcloud.com/dorovo/pennies

@Glass and the Ghost Children: That guy is really good! His drums are tuned really well.

Last Edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Dorovo.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109867

The Pennies drums are really good man! I like how you incorporate the different cymbals, the crashes and splashes, etc. BTW do you listen to a playback of the original song when recording?

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #109896

• Dorovo
  • Die
  • Happy End of the World
Thanks man! Yeah, I actually plug my earbuds to a computer while whatever mic I'm using (my iPod for Pennies) is plugged in beside the kit. Then I go master it with Wavepad.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #110010

• Dorovo
  • Die
  • Happy End of the World
Figure I might record either My Dahlia or Daughter. Wanna experiment with reverb.

Re: Drums. 7 years 9 months ago #110021

• Depresso
Dorovo, I think your cover of Pennies is really good, nice rhythm and you keep it rolling like Jimmy did. Billy should have hired you to be the new drummer.

Also there use to be an old video from 2003 of Poets Of The Fall covering Mayonnaise, but I can't find it anywhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dorovo
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds

No members online
Total: Members: 0 | Guests: 45 | Members List

Search