19January2020

ThePumpkins.net

You are here: Home Forum Categories Craft and Creativity Effects Pedal questions
  • Page:

TOPIC: Effects Pedal questions

Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57496

hey all. anyone know what guitar effects Billy uses in the solo for United States? also, what bass effect Ginger uses in the main part of Gossamer? thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57498

• robertedge
  • Fried
  • Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll
equaliser, delay?????????

Re:Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57501

i think he uses delay and a shitload of reverb for US solo. i dont know much about bass so.....
I might like you better if we slept together

Re:Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57520

An annoyingly unnecessary amount of delay.

I think this is supposed to go in the art+craft forum?

Dance, Billy, dance.

Re:Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57527

• Rivers Cuomo
  • Make It Fungus
  • Rivers Cuomo is not I am laughing out loud.
That's what I was going to say.

Nice avatar though, blinko :p

Re:Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57529

• PistolPete
  • Pumpkins > You
Geek N.Z. wrote:
I think this is supposed to go in the art+craft forum?
I didn't move it because it was a question directly related to the Smashing Pumpkins, but I think I'll move it now.
D0 y0u f33|
|0v3 15 r34|?

Re:Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57531

• PistolPete
  • Pumpkins > You
I've recreated an effect that was similar, but I can't exactly remember how. I'm pretty sure I just used a little phase and a shit ton of delay
D0 y0u f33|
|0v3 15 r34|?

Re:Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57548

• Rivers Cuomo
  • Make It Fungus
  • Rivers Cuomo is not I am laughing out loud.
anyone know what he's doing these days as far as distortion?

Re:Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57549

Big Muff anyone? :D
We are the fossils, the relics of our time!
We mutilate the meanings so they're easy to deny!

Re:Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57550

• PistolPete
  • Pumpkins > You
Well this is Jeff's current rig built by David Friedman of Rack Systems LTD.

Here's a rig just finished for Jeff Schroeder of the Smashing Pumpkins. The path is guitar into the rack wah with a cable,then it hits the gcx with the 6 pedals pictured, the 7th loop is the Axe Fx front end {for pedal simulations} then it goes to the Rm4 preamp. The modules are the tweed, jtm, plexi [with my mod] and the mr scary [ spec corrected to be right ]. After the preamp the signal hits the 8th loop and in that is the Axe Fx back end effects from there to the power amp. The rig is a mono rig and he switches power sections with the poweramp for a vol. boost. The cool thing is if you have both loops on for the Axe Fx and take out the internal effects loop block it will take out the Rm4 and then you can use the Axe Fx for the preamp in the rack.

Looks like a THC chorus, Boss Compressor, Buff Puff for gain, Naked OD for overdirve and of course the Micro-Synth. Also a ISP Decimator noise gate.
D0 y0u f33|
|0v3 15 r34|?

Re:Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57551

• PistolPete
  • Pumpkins > You
Jeff's reaction to the new rig:
Yesterday was the first day that I really got a chance to spend time with it and it sounds phenomenal. The modded Randall preamps sound great. I was real happy with them before and now I'm even happier.

The Axe-Fx is great too. Not that hard to use and has endless possibilities. Granted, it does take some time to program, but for me having versatility is key. I really wanted to design a rig that would not only be able to cover all the sounds for the songs we're playing on this upcoming tour (and believe me, it's a lot of them. 40+ over two nights) but would also allow me to grow into new sonic territories (I know that sounds cheesey, but y'all know what I mean). Suffice to say, I'm beyond pleased with what we were able to get here.
From what I've heard--and Dave can correct me if I'm wrong--the Mr. Scary module is basically designed after a modded Marshall Plexi. It has a ton of gain, a lot of bite, and most importantly, clarity. When I first got the Randalls I tried a bunch of different modules, but as soon as Jay and I put in the Mr. Scary it was pretty clear that it would be our high-gain sound. Plus, George Lynch is badass

The combination of the Randall Amps with the Diezels is awesome. It sounds huge and powerful. When we first started playing together, Billy and I both tried to use Diezels and it surprisingly sounded terrible. With both of us using the same amps we couldn't get the width that we were looking for. So after trying a bunch of different things, I ended up the Randalls and have been playing them ever since. I really love the amps. And now that I have some Friedman modded modules, I'm digging them even more.

In regards to using the Dunlop rack wah versus the Fractal, it's just out of pure convenience. In SP we actually improvise quite a bit and I like being able to just step on the wah if I'm feeling it.

For live shows all of the high-gain distortion you hear comes from our amps. So yes, the Randalls and the Diezels in essence replace the fuzz sounds that you hear on some of the recording. I do use some pedals for some slightly overdriven sounds and for some extra juice on solos.
D0 y0u f33|
|0v3 15 r34|?

Re:Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57552

• PistolPete
  • Pumpkins > You
Could you guys recommend a fuzz pedal that will get me the early SP tones a la Siamese Dream.
From my conversations with Billy, I think it was pretty much all vintage Big Muffs on the Siamese Dream era recordings. So if that is sound your looking for, that's probably the best place to start. One thing to consider, however, is the amp you're putting the pedal in front of. I'm pretty sure BC put the Big Muff in front of his KT88 loaded Marshall (the "Soul" head), which was actually set for a very big and clean sound.

Jay and I decided to use the Line M13 simply because it sounds great. Yes, I theoretically can get most of the sounds it has from my Fractal (which is amazing too), but there is something about the simplicity of the M13 that I'm attracted to. I primarily use it for delays in front of the clean channel of my Randall preamp. I really like the Analog w/Mod, the Multi-Head, and the Lo Res models. Besides delays, I use the Red Comp, Screamer, Colordrive, and the Facial Fuzz as well as a few others. Rich from Line 6 brought over a couple of expression pedals the other day, so we hooked one of those up. I have to say, this rig is almost too much fun for one person.

Jay and I have already spent many late nights programming sounds into the Fractal, and it sounds unreal. Really enjoying it. But having the M13 there too is awesome because we tend to improvise quite a bit and so having a bunch of sounds ready to go is essential. Every day I'm liking this rig more and more.
D0 y0u f33|
|0v3 15 r34|?

Re:Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57553

Rivers Cuomo wrote:
anyone know what he's doing these days as far as distortion?

i might be wrong, but im pretty sure i heard he uses a boss DS-1 for the zeitgeist stuff.

Re:Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57566

For when a distortion stomp-box isn't enough :D

Dance, Billy, dance.

Re:Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57570

?

Re:Effects Pedal questions 11 years 2 months ago #57578

that was in reply to the pictures.

Dance, Billy, dance.

Re:Effects Pedal questions 10 years 2 weeks ago #64824

very very very very delayed response, but ive been playing around, and if you put a bigmuff+OD after a reverb pedal, then you can get the sound
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds

No members online
Total: Members: 0 | Guests: 271 | Members List

Search