24January2020

ThePumpkins.net

• Page:

TOPIC: MUSIC THEORY

MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62622

• Rivers Cuomo
  • Make It Fungus
  • Rivers Cuomo is not I am laughing out loud.
what a load of rubbish, eh?

really though, it hurts my brain
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by PistolPete.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62623

• venison
  • Die
  • the return of slippin' jimmy
I kind of like music theory, at least the basic stuff, up through the rules of counterpoint. like math though, once it starts getting extremely complex it turns me off. it helps to have great enthusiastic professors though, which I was lucky to have :)

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62624

• EasternMind
  • Rock Me
  • Smiley where have you been?
I'm taking that in the fall, and I'm looking forward to it, mostly. Since I am eventually majoring in music, I'll need those classes, but the complexities of it turn me off.

It's like, the west is the only place where such theories are even really cared about! The rest of the traditional music world couldn't give two shits about the "theory" behind their music... Most music is taught through practice and passing down through demonstration, NOT through notes and all that rubish...

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62626

• PistolPete
  • Pumpkins > You
I never got into theory much. I tried to read a few books and actually discipline myself to actually learn and practice it. But it became too complex and over my head. I never took any theory courses in college, but I did take a Music Lecture class one semester. Aced that one.

I wish I had more knowledge of music though. Everything I know (which isn’t much) was self taught and learned through the internet/playing with friends.
D0 y0u f33|
|0v3 15 r34|?

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62627

as a little kid i got a lot of serious piano teaching and that helped me with guitar, but i have no theory on guitar
I might like you better if we slept together

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62628

i've memorized some scales and stuff, but i haven't bothered with anything else yet. i would like to get a basic understanding of it at least.
soot in my hair and stars in my hands...

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62629

I've taken a semester of music theory/ear training as well as a piano class. It's helped me a lot. I'd recommend taking one semester to any musician. I don't base everything I write on the theory I've learned but its more like theory helps me understand why my or anyone elses songs appeal to me.

Some of it is useless to a guitarist playing a genre as vast and free as rock and roll. The two teachers I had (one for music theory and one for ear training) made it very interesting though. One thing you'll learn is billy corgan loves the myxolydian mode, whether he knows it or not.
"The Smashing Pumpkins are your friends! If you need a helping hand, a shoulder to cry on, some euros, can't pay your rent. The Smashing Pumpkins."
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by PumpkinPieces.

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62630

yeah ive noticed the myxolydian thing too
actually im hearing it right now in Jesus, I/Mary Star of the Sea

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62631

• pugman
  • So Very Sad About Us
Yeah, a while back I noticed the Myxolydian mode plastered all over Billy's writing.

Music theory really is an anal thing when you are trying to get it perfectly right, but when i can use some of the rules to your advantage and break the rules you want to break, it really can help when composing!

I took a second semester theory course recently (after skipping first semester based on my previous music knowledge), and the next semester I am going to be taking Romantic and 20th Century theory, so I'm prepping myself for it to get MUCH more complex!!

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62632

i need to take a song composing or writing course sometime
i can come up with all these riffs and chord progressions, i just have trouble putting them together

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62633

• venison
  • Die
Since this is in the craft and creativity thread, I might as well put up here the Minuet I composed for one of my introductory theory classes. This was the final project for all the students, and the requirements were that it be in binary form, follow the rules of 18th century counterpoint, modulate to the dominant, and contain a few special chords or basic cadences we learned about in class.

Looking back on it, I would change a few things in the middle section, and if you're familiar with Bach's minuets a few things might sound familiar to you, cuz that's where I got my inspiration from ;)

basic introductory stuff but overall 'twas very fun
Attachments:
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by venison.

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62636

• venison
  • Die
OK, page 1

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62637

• venison
  • Die
page 2

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62638

do you have any audio for those of us who can't read music? ;)

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62640

PumpkinPieces wrote:
One thing you'll learn is billy corgan loves the myxolydian mode, whether he knows it or not.

I'm sorry, this is probably a dumb question, but what is the myxolydian mode? :confused

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62641

i was wondering that too. i don't know any of this stuff.

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62642

• pugman
  • So Very Sad About Us
The modes are kind of hard to explain without any music theory knowledge. Basically, there are 7 modes based on the major scale: Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian. They all have unique and complex patterns that can be memorized, but the easiest way to play them is on the piano. To play Ionian, or a regular major scale, play a C on the piano, and go all the way up on only white keys to the next C. To play Mixolydian, go all the way up the white keys again, this time starting on G. The scales are almost the same, but slightly different.

Mixolydian is actually fairly common in rock music, because it is pretty comfortable to the ear without being too melodic. Billy also uses other modes alot in his music. A common one is the Lydian mode, which is what you get when you play all the white keys starting on F. Lydian is heard in "Tonight, Tonight." I think I've heard the Lydian mode described as having a "wondrous" quality to it. He also tends to use Aeolian. I noticed it all over in songs from Zeitgeist, such as Tarantula. I guess Aeolian has more of a harder rock edge to it.

Oh, and for those of you who dont really know your way around the piano or anything, here are the notes to the scales in the modes that you could play on guitar:

Ionian : CDEFGABC
Mixolydian : GABCDEFG
Lydian : FGABCDEF
Aeolian : ABCDEFGA

Sorry if any of that is confusing!! I tried to explain it as simply as possible, but its fairly detailed theory stuff.

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62644

• yteah
  • V-8
  • keepin it real
yeah man, i dont really get all the names and stuff, i just like playing guitar. after noodling forever then trying to learn the names, it seemed pretty pretentious to name everything, but i guess that could be said about all education right? "i just call em bouncy gulpers!"

ps, so if aeolian would start on e would it be called something else?
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by yteah.

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62648

interesting. i don't quite get it either, but Tonight, Tonight definitely has a "wondrous" sound to it. i just never knew a name for why beyond Billy kicks ass.

Re:MUSIC THEORY 10 years 7 months ago #62684

• pugman
  • So Very Sad About Us
Well, perhaps an easier way to explain the modes are that they are scales that all have their own unique sounds and moods. Just like people know Major for being "happy" and Minor for being "sad", each of the seven modes have their own tones.

Oh, and yteah, any of the modes can start on any note. That was probably prett confusing how I explained it. Aeolian on any open string on a Guitar could be tabbed like:

0-2-3-5-7-8-10-12

I mikght have had that wrong about Tarantula being Aeolian. I dont know my modes that well myself.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds

No members online
Total: Members: 0 | Guests: 14 | Members List

Search