22July2018

ThePumpkins.net

You are here: Home Forum Categories General The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final

Poll: First Semi Final

Poll options
  • Apocalyptica - Bittersweet
  • Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final

The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108624

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
First Semi-Final

Winner will go into the Preliminary Final.

1.) Apocalyptica - Bittersweet feat Ville Valo and Lauri Ylonen

2.) Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108625

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
Gotta say, I enjoyed PT more.
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108635

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
Out of ten

Bittersweet 8

Lightbulb Sun 10

Lightbulb Sun is clearly the better song. It has all the best bits about PTs heavy and quiet music, and is layered. But can I really vote for this? Bittersweet is a pretty good song. Some of it sounds slightly generic, but overall it's a good effort. Nice harmonies, orchestration, heavy stuff. And it's from a band I've never heard of, so that's got to mean something. Against Porcupine Tree. Hmm. A question of ethics...

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108637

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
If there was any better band than this overrated cheesball pseudogothness, pseduoclassical ex-Matallica cover band Apocalyptica challanging Porcupine Tree I would maybe have thought twice but in that case Porcupine Tree wins...by far.
Plus Lightbulb Sun is one of those great songs capturing Porcupine Tree's spirit the best.
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by DON.

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108643

(double post) :darcy
Preparation for detonation...
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by epitome.

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108644

I've only heard one Apocalyptica song before, the one they did with Gavin Rossdale of Bush on vocals. That was quite upbeat and heavy and with Rossdale's great voice, I liked it a lot.
This one, though not terrible, didn't really grab me.

Lightbulb Sun is a great example of Porcupine Tree's more "traditional", alternative rock style - not as experimental or progressive as they can be (especially compared to earlier albums). It's a classic though, the title track off (probably) my favourite PT album - now the second song from Lightbulb Sun to be used in this championship :) An easy win for PT in my eyes.
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by epitome.

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108647

• venison
  • Die
  • the return of slippin' jimmy
Yikes, that first one was pretty awful. I'm going to have to side with the Steven Wilson fanboy troop on this one

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108648

• Dorovo
  • Die
  • Happy End of the World
PT is one of my favorite bands. I can't stand Apocalyptica. Lightbulb Sun it is. LS is definitely among my favorite albums.
"I said rat in a cage, not monkey from a fucking wire!" - Billy Corgan

"You have absolutely smashing pumpkins!" - Billy Corgan

uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Billy_Corgan

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108651

I did like LightBulb Sun more. But I must say, I deliberately refrained from submitting a PT song in the comp because I thought it would be an all too easy win considering the voters here. Looks like it's true. ;)
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by plasmate74.

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108652

You'd think that, but I think there's only 5 or 6 people on here who listen to PT, so I definitely don't think they're a guaranteed win. I think a lot of songs would've beaten the Apocalyptica song (although I didn't think it was that bad).

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108671

• Eye
  • Is Alex Milton
I don't think I have ever heard either of these bands, so I'm going into this fresh. Currently listening to the first one.

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108672

• Eye
  • Is Alex Milton
I guess I'm going with the popular choice, Porcupine Tree. Both were okay songs.

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108682

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
Ouch, no votes for Apocalyptica yet.
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108687

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
Amazing.
have we ever had no votes for one tune before? :eek

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108706

• Glass And The Ghost Children
  • Depresso
  • If selling records, recording hit song, and being famous is the measure of greatness than Soulja Boy is the greatest
Wow, I have never given Porcupine Tree to much of my time, butr now after hearing this I think I may give them another listen. Also does anyone think Lightbulb Sun sounds a little bit like A Perfect Circle?
I don't mean to hurt anyone, I'm just speaking my personal opinion.

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108716

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
This one's finished.

Porcupine Tree defeats Apocalyptica 11 - 1.

blueczarina is eliminated. Song choices were:

- Massive Attack - Paradise Circus (Win)
- deUS - Slow (Win)
- Anathema - Pressure (Loss)
- David Bowie - Bring Me the Disco King (Win)
- She Wants Revenge - Take The World (Win)
- Apocalyptica - Bittersweet (Loss)

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108719

Damn! I loved all your picks (except the last one)!

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108722

Doesn't matter now but I probably woulda voted PT too.
Destroy the mind, destroy the body, but you cannot destroy the heart!

Tell me, tell me what you\\\'re after...I just wanna get there faster.

Re: The Music Taste Championships #2 - First Semi Final 6 years 5 months ago #108723

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
Good run Blue! Sucks that you had to go out like this though. :(
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds

No members online
Total: Members: 0 | Guests: 355 | Members List

Search