10December2018

ThePumpkins.net

You are here: Home Forum Categories General Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1

Poll: Elimination Match 1

Poll options
  • Portugal. The Man - All Your Light
  • Queens of the Stone Age - Sky is Fallin'
  • Page:

TOPIC: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112277

• JonnyDaycase
  • Spazmatazz
  • Ex - Music Taste Champion
plasmate74 wrote:
DON wrote:
plasmate74 wrote:
DON wrote:
Eye wrote:
plasmate74 wrote:
DON wrote:

Queens of the Stone Age, being part of the official woosie-band collective, can't get the vote anyway.

...I'm not familiar with the "official woosie-band collective"?
Me neither...
It's mainstream rock bands without any artistic statement that exist for making money only.
Here's some others to give you the idea:

Metallica
Bon Jovi
Queens Of The Stone Age
Foo Fighters
Red Hot Chili Peppers
U2
AC/DC
Kiss

That said I happen to like Kiss a lot but it's just some cashing in anyway.

I couldn't disagree with you more in regards to QOTSA. Anybody who's really familiar with QOTSA and what they're about can tell you they are the complete opposite of the definition you've given above.
Of course, they're true underground hardcore and DIY without any rockstar shit :roll

They're far from being a "mainstream rock band without any artistic statement that exist for making money only". I would argue that from the beginning (and this goes for all the other bands Josh Homme has started) QOTSA have been about making completely DIY very non-commercial alt rock. And for the same reason why the White Stripes kind of music is popular now or Nirvana and grunge in their day just says that after a while the wider public embraces less commercial stuff and in doing so makes it commercially successful. But you certainly couldn't say the above bands didn't have an artist statement to offer despite their eventual popular success. That goes for the Chilli Peppers too.

WOAH! QOTSA defo does not fit with that list. Just because they are a popular, very well known band, doesn't mean they have no artistic statement. They make great music. Simple fact. And they experiment. And they are original. And Josh Homme is a very talented man. Im with plasmate here. Especially wouldnt put them in a list with Kiss :roll . Kiss make me sick :courtney
Think its time we learnt your time table/ditched the hover board.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112278

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
Kiss are the only honest ones in that list - Gene Simmons always did it for the money and everyone knows :D
So they got the non-hypocrite bonus.

C'mon guys, this discussion is tiring.
Listen to whatever you like, that's just my perception of art that keeps me from listening to boring radio rock.
You could easily also put recent SP on this list until Oceania proofs me wrong.
Let's move on.
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by DON.

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112281

The first time I heard QOTSA was when they opened for SP on the Arising tour. They got booed off the stage and Josh threw a little temper tantrum as he was leaving the stage. They're an OK band, but I never have understood why everybody goes apeshit over them. I don't see them as anything special. That said, I give them more cred than Kiss or U2.
Destroy the mind, destroy the body, but you cannot destroy the heart!

Tell me, tell me what you\\\'re after...I just wanna get there faster.

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112282

Back on topic, Portugal. The man eeks out a 7 - 6 victory here. So, with our first elimination, and finishing in 15th place, we have....Plasmate74.

Choices were:
How to Destroy Angels - Fur Lined
Queens of the Stone Age - Sky is Fallin'

Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by ghostchild.

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112284

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
I forget How to Destroy Angels, was that the techno one that sounded like Sneakers?

Man, feel bad you're out first Plasmate, you're a pretty consistent picker based on the last 'season', and it's always bad to see an Aussie bow out ;) I enjoyed Queens here, so I'm thinking it wasn't the quality of the 'song', but there's just that many people who know that band and aren't into them.

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112313

Cheers Frank. Yeah, I definitely went better last championship. lol.

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112322

• Eye
  • Is Alex Milton
Sorry to hear that. Better luck next time man. I just assume that people won't like the stuff I like, so I expect to be eliminated sooner or later lol.
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Eye.

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112325

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
Better luck next MTC Plasmate! And to think picking QOTSA would start an argument, haha!
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112327

^lol. it was a lively debate!

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112331

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
I didn't want you to lose...I just wanted to review QOTSA for myself :(

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112333

• Dorovo
  • Die
  • Happy End of the World
I really don't get why a lot of you are so jaded about this. Who gives a fuck if a band is popular? Foo Fighters, RHCP and QOTSA have some pretty good songs between them. It's about the song.

Plus, Flea > Geddy Lee
"I said rat in a cage, not monkey from a fucking wire!" - Billy Corgan

"You have absolutely smashing pumpkins!" - Billy Corgan

uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Billy_Corgan

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112335

Dorovo wrote:
I really don't get why a lot of you are so jaded about this. Who gives a fuck if a band is popular? Foo Fighters, RHCP and QOTSA have some pretty good songs between them. It's about the song.

Plus, Flea > Geddy Lee

Totally agree.

However, Les Claypool > Flea. And you all took a gigantic runny elephant shit all over my Primus song last tournament. There's no accounting for bad taste, I guess. :D

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112336

Must have been in the MTC before that because I would have voted for Primus!

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112352

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
ghostchild wrote:
Dorovo wrote:

Plus, Flea > Geddy Lee

Totally agree.

However, Les Claypool > Flea. And you all took a gigantic runny elephant shit all over my Primus song last tournament. There's no accounting for bad taste, I guess. :D

So...

Les Claypool > Flea > Geddy Lee

but yet...

Rush > RHCP > Primus

Boggles the mind, eh? ;)
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112356

kjrain12 wrote:

So...

and...

Primus > RHCP > Rush

Pretty logical, eh? ;)

Fixed that for ya.

Re: Music Taste Championships 3 - Elimination Match 1 6 years 7 months ago #112393

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
ghostchild wrote:
kjrain12 wrote:

So...

and...

Primus > RHCP > Rush

Pretty logical, eh? ;)

Fixed that for ya.

But RHCP and Primus haven't made any album that's half as good as the masterpieces that are "Moving Pictures" and "2112".
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds

No members online
Total: Members: 0 | Guests: 296 | Members List

Search