20September2018

ThePumpkins.net

You are here: Home Forum Categories General Favourite Song Of All Time
  • Page:

TOPIC: Favourite Song Of All Time

Favourite Song Of All Time 6 years 4 months ago #112373

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
Simple as that.
Post it.
Explain it.
Share the pleasure and the pain.
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Murder McMurderson.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Favourite Song Of All Time 6 years 4 months ago #112376

• Eye
  • Is Alex Milton
My favorite song of all time...and I'm not just saying this because we are on an SP board is "Tonight, Tonight"

Ever since I first heard this song, it drew me in. The feel, the arrangement, the lyrics, everything. Contemplative, inspiring, moving. It has everything. I fell in love with the song from the first listen. I have heard many great songs from SP and other bands over the years, but nothing seems to have grabbed me like this one has. I never thought this was ever become a single, that people wouldn't get it (apparently Billy said something similar once). I first heard it when brother brought home Mellon Collie, when Bullet or 1979 were singles.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Eye.

Re: Favourite Song Of All Time 6 years 4 months ago #112377

• Glass And The Ghost Children
  • Depresso
  • If selling records, recording hit song, and being famous is the measure of greatness than Soulja Boy is the greatest
I have so many songs I love, by so many bands and artist I love. Of course Smashing Pumpkins have a lot of songs I love, but this may be my favorite song of all time.

No mater how many times I listen to this song I discover something new hidden in it, it makes me cry sometimes.

This song is such a master piece, it's too bad not that many people know of it. If Poets Of The Fall had formed in the 1990s they would have been as big as Radiohead.

A true masterpiece, it was the quality of any of R.E.M.'s past work, it could have should have been a hit, but the Republicans kept it off the radio.

The Sitar Man, Joe South and his timeless tongue in cheek ballad 'The Games People Play" it really sadens me that since this song was written nothing has changed at all really.

I can't really explain what this song means, but the vocals, piano and drums are just so amazing. This song will never age a day, it will be just as amazing in two-hundred-years as it is today.
I don't mean to hurt anyone, I'm just speaking my personal opinion.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Glass And The Ghost Children.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spaceoy

Re: Favourite Song Of All Time 6 years 4 months ago #112387

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
I dunno, this is hard. Choosing a fav album is hard enough, how could I choose just one song? I'll have to think about it for a little bit.

Around the age of 5-7 though, my favorite song became Metallica's "Master of Puppets." It introduced to metal and I had never heard anything with that kind of punch before. I'll have to think about favorite song now though...
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Re: Favourite Song Of All Time 6 years 4 months ago #112407

• venison
  • Die
  • the return of slippin' jimmy
Beethoven's "Pathetique" piano sonata, 2nd movement

No joke, the first time I ever heard this song was when I was 4 and saw it on Charlie Brown :yay My dad would play it on the piano sometimes too, and the visual rendition from the cartoon has stayed with me all my life
The following user(s) said Thank You: blueczarina

Re: Favourite Song Of All Time 6 years 4 months ago #112413

nice choice Venison. :D

this is kind of a hard one. i think i actually have to go with classical music as well though. that's actually the first type of music i was ever really into. i was kind of a weird kid. i liked to listen to symphonies on my little radio. i also watched a lot of PBS and figure skating and stuff with classical music and that's where i developed my first musical likes. there is just something about it. its atmospheric and has a lot of emotion that you can just kind of immerse yourself in. i especially love the Russian composers. i always liked Russian stuff in general as a kid though- history, fairy tales, ballet/ theater, etc. i think with a lot of the Russian composers you can almost hear the history of the Russian people in the music... "the Russian soul." there is an intensity to it that really appeals to me.

my favorite piece of music is probably Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No 2. here is a version actually played by Sergei Rachmaninov himself in 1929. i first heard it when i was little. i always thought it kicked ass. its dark and melancholic, but yet has this beauty and elegance and sense of grandeur to it. i always thought there was something of the sublime in it.

i also always liked Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights from his Romeo and Juliet ballet (No 13) from the time i was little. it has this dark, stormy intensity, but is also kind of waltz like it parts.

one of my other favorite composers (non-Russian) is Chopin although he's pretty Rachmaninov sounding in a lot of ways. when i was a little kid my mom found a CD of Chopin's complete Etudes in her stuff. she didn't know where it came from or why she had it. she doesn't listen to classical herself. she let me have it though and it was actually one of my first CDs. i could listen to it for hours. its grand and sweeping in parts and pleasant and melancholic in others. here is a part of the same recording. the pianist is Louis Lortie. this is No 1-4.

now classical aside ;)

Zero was the song that first got me into the SP. when i first heard that on the radio as a kid i was like holy shit. its has such a sinister riff and he snaps and snarls the lyrics in this wicked sort of way. its pretty much been stuck in my head since.

i also love Tear, especially the live version from Botanique Gardens in Brussels. its this dark, grand, melancholic perfection. Billy put a lot of intensity and emotion into that performance. in a lot of ways it shares a lot of similar qualities with what i like in classical.

another favorite would be Radiohead's Everything In Its Right Place. i always thought it was a calming, centering sort of piece the way it just pulses along.

and i could probably post a couple more, but i still need to submit a song to ghostchild and am considering them. :p i will add them after i'm slaughtered in the game.

Re: Favourite Song Of All Time 6 years 4 months ago #112423

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
Mmmmmm....Kid A.
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Re: Favourite Song Of All Time 6 years 4 months ago #112731

• yteah
  • V-8
  • keepin it real
this is pretty hard to pick but

this song is just great to me, far beyond the musicality of it... just that its the title track while being one of the longest songs... its got that ending that just the start again, idk what the name for that is... the live versions have full crowd chanting and claudio commanding the outro without singing "Actual" words... and whenever im sitting around with a guitar i just love the way the guitar sounds when i play this.

i hope they come back someday so i can see this song played live...

ps. its like the song that made the dreamer in me believe that odd music can be an anthem.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by yteah.

Re: Favourite Song Of All Time 6 years 4 months ago #112738

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
I think my favorite song ever could be anything from either

Ruby/ Behold The Nightmare

Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones : One of the best rock tunes ever written imo

Pixies - Debaser : So good, so catchy, so crazy!!

The Who - Heaven and Hell : Something about this song just does it for me. John Entwistle is a beast.

Primal Scream - I'm Comin Down : So relaxing and mezmerizing...

I don't know if I'd ever be able to choose an absolute favorite though, its much easier for me to choose fav albums than songs.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds

No members online
Total: Members: 0 | Guests: 153 | Members List

Search