09December2019

ThePumpkins.net

You are here: Home Forum Categories General Last Movie Watched and Rating

TOPIC: Last Movie Watched and Rating

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #119799

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
Okay, so since the last one got deleted, here is a new one! Post your recently watched movies and your ratings!

Martyrs (2008) – (*note – language is French, but English subs are available)

Surprisingly good movie. Revolves around a plot of a shady group who capture and torture people for motives later shown in the film. One young girl escapes the torture and goes to an orphanage. She meets another young girl and befriends her and eventually they team up for revenge upon the main character’s (Lucie’s) former captors.

This film is violent. Crazy violent in fact. So much so that it desensitizes you by the start of the most violent things. The plot is good, the progression is a little stuttery though, jumping from scenes to scenes somewhat sporadically. I think the movie would’ve been better if they included more music in the movie and less screaming/moaning.

The acting is solid but not incredible. The end of the movie and the showing of the motives were somewhat interesting but not mindblowing. Anyway, it’s a worthwhile movie if you don’t mind a lot of violence and reading subs. Check it out.

7/10
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120106

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
Come on, you guys don't watch movies any more? ;)

Evil Dead (1981)

The film debut from Sam Raimi, fresh out of film school. The plot revolves around a group of friends that go to a cabin and discover an evil book. The evil book is read and brings out demons that possess the inhabitors of the cabin and turn them against each other in many funny interesting ways.

This movie isn’t just another zombie movie, it’s also very supernatural. It’s very funny and uses gore and “state of the art” special effects in entirely new ways. I was never bored watching this as the plot progressed naturally like your average horror movie and as it climaxed. The hero, Bruce Campbell’s character, is an unlikely hero but it’s always entertaining to watch his misfortune.

This film (and series) is now a cult classic for good reason. It’s a little too weird for your average viewer, but it’s one of the most fun and gorey horror flicks ever. And it has a few good scares too! The acting isn’t tremendously good but it works in the favor of the movie’s cheesy antics. Definitely check this one out.

9/10
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120110

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
Didn't get into The Evil Dead when I saw it a few years ago. Thought it was average.

Haven't watched a movie in weeks. Just watching TV shows. After I finished The Shield I've moved onto 24. Coming to the end of Season 4 now. Great show, pretty funny now I'm seeing Jack Bauers and Tony Almedias everywhere I look. Plus I feel like I could snap at any moment and start interrogating random people as to when the next terrorist attack is going to be ;)

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120118

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
Haha, my Mom used to be obsessed with that show. Right now, I'm actually really into that new show "Bates Motel" which is sort of a prequel to Psycho. Damn good show. Also, did you ever watch the show Prison Break, Frankie?

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120121

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
I was watching Prison Break at the start of this year. I'd already seen Season 1 and 2, never saw 3 or 4.

Season One is amazing. 5 stars for that.

Season Two is abysmal. But I was going to suck it up anyway because I thought they might be able to recapture what once was in the later seasons. Then I was at my brother's house and he told me not to bother. He said it just gets worse. So I just stopped watching. Yeah, then moved onto The Shield actually.

Watching TV shows is bloody time consuming. But in TV vs Movies debate, TV wins. For the last X years it's been a handful of great movies each year, and ten dozen mediocre cash cows.
Walking Dead / Breaking Bad / Homeland / Sherlock / Boardwalk Empire, hell heaps more and current, they're just way beyond what movies never are these days. All the great movie actors are too old now. Or they keep making crap films.
Come on Bruce Willis / Ed Norton / Kevin Spacey / Al Pacino / Nic Cage. Where the fuck are you now :confused
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by frankB.

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120126

Evil Dead is good, but Evil Dead 2 is a classic.
Preparation for detonation...

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120129

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
@Frankie: Yeah, that's why I don't normally watch TV shows, they're just too time consuming and your brother was mostly right, Prison Break just gets more confusing and convoluted/silly as the series goes on but I still enjoyed it. :D

@Epitome: I don't know Epitome, I think they are both classic, just for different reasons. Both quality flicks.

...and since Frankie mentioned Bruce Willis...

Die Hard (1988)

Plot revolves around a NY cop who comes to California to spend time with his divorced wife and kids on Christmas Eve but as he’s talking with his wife in the building where she works, German terrorists invade and take over the building and it’s residents as hostages. The cop (Bruce Willis) is able to escape to a higher level though. The ensuing film is a story of one isolated man’s struggle against single minded ruthless foes.

The approach to this movie was unique at the time and changed the action genre up. The atmosphere is almost a little dreamy because it takes place at night. The narrative is stronger than your average action movie but it’s not incredible. The action of course is solid and Bruce’s one liners are great. (“Sir this is channel reserved for emergencies only” – “No fucking shit lady, does it sound like I’m ordering a pizza!?!?” – “Now I have a machine gun, ho, ho, ho”)

The characters are likeable and the main villain (Alan Rickman) is smooth as shit. The interplay between the characters is fun and enjoyable. The music is also notably good and has aged quite well since the movie’s release. Overall, this is a solid action movie that is probably on the first Terminator’s level, but not quite on First Blood’s level. Definitely check it out.

8.5/10

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120136

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
Evil Dead II (1987)

Continuing directly from the first, Ash finds himself stuck in the cabin. Things get even weirder in this sequel and the special effects displayed have obviously evolved since the original and it makes for one of the most entertaining gorefests ever.

This movie is excellent at entertaining and keeping the viewer’s attention. It moves at a breakneck speed, seemingly never slowing down. This one cares less about scares and suspense and trades that for pure adrenaline fueled zombie action!

The acting fits the movie and the lines are hilarious. This movie shifts to a more comedy focused plot and it works for the better actually. Damn good movie and one of the few cases where the sequel is better than the original. Granted, not marginally better, but still of a higher quality due to its unique approach. Check it.

9.5/10
The following user(s) said Thank You: epitome

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120140

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
I can't stand Evil Dead 2 and 3 for some reason. I think they're neither amusing nor exciting and only cheesy.
2 is a direct rip-off with less violence and more slapstick, and 3 just an unfunny funny movie.
Don't ask me why, though, because I really love the first part (8/10) and give it a watch always when I feel like watching an old-school splattermovie.

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120145

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
^Huh, that's weird, I love both the second and third films. Next to Toy Story, Evil Dead is one of the best trilogies in cinema! I really appreciate the uniqueness of all the films and the third one takes it to a new level I think, granted it's not as funny as the second film. Oh well, I'll save it for the review.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985) – Slasher

So here’s the sequel to the original. This time, the main character is a guy named Jesse (Mark Patton) who moves in (with his family) into the old home of Nancy Thompson. He starts to have visions of Freddy until finally, Freddy takes over him and starts killing people through him. This give the film a whole different approach to Freddy and changes the dynamics of the movie drastically from the first film. Luckily, this is a good thing and I actually preferred this approach instead of Freddy simply coming into the world of the original movie. He is now sort of a possessor if you will.

The acting is surprisingly solid and less cheesy than the first film and it still retains the plot themes of bended reality. The film toys with the viewers perceptions of what is real and what isn’t. It doesn’t take itself TOO seriously though and it is still a lot of fun. The plot is good but not overbearing. More focused than the original I think. The music is actually noticeably good as well, doing much to enhance the overall atmosphere and the scares.

One controversial part of this film is the homo-erotic underlying themes. They didn’t really do much to enhance the story in my opinion and were somewhat distracting and silly but weren’t a major detriment to the storytelling. The scares are still good and the ending is much better and more conclusive than the original. This movie is definitely underappreciated when compared to the original and it has me excited to check out the rest of the Nightmare films. View this one if you are in the mood for classic 80s slasher action!

7.5/10

So are any of you well versed in the Nightmare series? Which ones are your favorites?

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120148

• DON
  • Die
My Nightmare ranking is the following:

1 (10/10)
3 (10/10)
4 (8/10)
Freddy vs Jason (7.5/10)
5 (6.5/10)
6 (6/10)
2 (5/10)
7 (3/10)
Remake (never happened)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kjrain12

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120163

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
^Cool Don, after I see all of them, I'll have to compare my ratings to yours! BTW, I just watched Elm Street 3 and definitely don't think as highly of it as you do. What makes it a 10/10 movie in your opinion?

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) – Slasher

Yep, so most people see this entry as the second best in the Nightmare series. It’s alright I guess. The plot revolves around a group of mentally “disturbed” kids in a hospital who possess powers in their dreams that they use to combat Freddy. The plot in this one is more focused than the second one and the story makes more sense, but because of this, it loses a sense of fun that the first and second one both had.

The music is a bit lackluster compared to the second one and the inclusion of Dokken doesn’t do much for me. The acting is a bit subpar for this series and sometimes it stands out as bad. The writing is often bland as well. Some of the deaths are memorable but others seem forced.

I guess a lot of people didn’t like the second installment so this one may have seemed to be a return to form but it’s slightly worse than the second and first one in my opinion. The special effects are really solid though and are the best in the series up to that point. The special effects are cause for many memorable scenes including Freddy’s head coming out of a TV, faces of screaming children on his chest and a skeleton fight. Anyway, it’s a decent movie but not uniquely special. Often cheesy and less often scary-and-memorable.

6/10

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120189

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
Army Of Darkness (1992)

Continues from Evil Dead II. Poor Ash has found himself transported back in time to 1300 AD (medieval times). This cap off to the original Evil Dead trilogy finds a more plot focused movie with a clear narrative. While it’s the most focused of the three, it’s also possibly the least bombastic in terms of gore. It IS more bombastic in terms of action sequences though as they are frequent and the ending scene is the longest battle scene the series has seen.

The acting actually sees a peak in this movie and Bruce Campbell gives his best performance yet. The special effects actually show age in this one as they were more ambitious at the time and relied on current CGI that seems cheesy today. This doesn’t lower the quality of the actual movie though, but is noticeable. While the narrative is more focused, the ridiculousness of the second installment remains present and is still incredibly amusing.

Overall, this is probably the most balanced of the three films and is somewhat less memorable because of that. It’s still a damn good movie though and is definitely worth checking out.

8/10

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120199

I've been ill over the weekend, so spent most of it in bed watching movies, don't have time to review them, but here are my ratings:

Evil Dead - 8
Evil Dead II - 10
Army of Darkness - 9

I might try and see the new Evil Dead this week - has anyone else seen it? I wasn't that interested until someone told me that it was pretty good, plus the plan, apparently, is to also re-make Army of Darkness and then do a "cross-over" which I presume (and hope) means making one with Bruce Campbell in it :)

Scream - 10
Scream 2 - 8
Scream 3 - 9

Didn't get round to watching Scream 4, unfortunately, and I still haven't seen it since it was out in the cinema. I'll try and watch it tonight. I remember quite liking it when I saw it, but at the same time, I went in there with the great memories of the first three and seem to think the 4th one felt a bit flat and that the acting of some of the returning cast members wasn't quite right. Watching it again with lower expectations should make for a fairer assessment though.
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by epitome.

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120200

• DON
  • Die
I was also in the Scream trilogy back in the late 90s, but for some reason I like the 4th one the best and it blew my mind when it came out in 2011.
It's far from being a "horror" movie (and it does hardly try so) but I love how it drags our current reality and the fucking generation facebook in the mud.
Yes, hating these days seems to be what DON really loves :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: venison, frankB

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120206

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
Yeah I'm pumped to see the new Evil Dead. Concerning the Scream trilogy, I found it overrated. It was alright but not on the level you guys rate it in my opinion. The acting is often bad and the plots are often dragging and non-interesting. The first one was probably the best though. I've been meaning to see the fourth one too.

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120210

• venison
  • Die
  • the return of slippin' jimmy
DON wrote:
I was also in the Scream trilogy back in the late 90s, but for some reason I like the 4th one the best and it blew my mind when it came out in 2011.
It's far from being a "horror" movie (and it does hardly try so) but I love how it drags our current reality and the fucking generation facebook in the mud.
Yes, hating these days seems to be what DON really loves :D
Yeah, I'm totally on that boat. When I'm dictator, I'm going to excise the words "facebook," "apple," "twitter," and "smartphone" from our vocabulary, and any utterances of these words will result in banishment to up one's own ass
The following user(s) said Thank You: DON

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120211

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
It seems that with each passing year, my need for time travel grows a little greater...
The following user(s) said Thank You: epitome, DON

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120213

• DON
  • Die
What we need is getting the early to mid 90s back!
The following user(s) said Thank You: venison, epitome, frankB

Last Movie Watched and Rating 6 years 7 months ago #120214

Scream 4 - 8/10

Great to have the series back and it's a surprisingly worthwhile new story that doesn't feel contrived like you might expect when a series is brought back after a decade. Some of the old actors don't seem totally committed though at times and, is it just me, or does David Arquette's voice sound totally different? And he seemed to be playing his character a little too serious this time - fair enough, he's now married and a sheriff, but he added good light-hearted comedy touches in the original trilogy which are lacking here.

I think they planned a whole new trilogy, but, as always, depending on the success of this one... I hope parts 5 and 6 are still on the way and that they put the same or more effort into those :)
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds

No members online
Total: Members: 0 | Guests: 136 | Members List

Search