13December2019

ThePumpkins.net

You are here: Home Forum Categories General Last Movie Watched and Rating

TOPIC: Last Movie Watched and Rating

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 6 months ago #125273

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
frankB wrote:
The characters are fantastic, but the show is so colourful to look at and there is very little room for padding beyond the second season. Meaning everything your watching has reason and will have an effect now or much, much later. There are also so many ingenious surprises and the plot is completely outside the box and just so epic. The intensity of every action, every piece of dialogue exchanged in the later episodes just holds you to the edge of your seat like nothing I've ever seen before.

Signed, everything Frankie said!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 6 months ago #125274

• venison
  • Die
  • the return of slippin' jimmy
Hell yeah Miami Vice! I started watching it for the 80s nostalgia, though I got off track when I moved and everything. Time to get back into it.

And I hardly need to add to the praise of Breaking Bad. I started watching it on netflix when the series was practically over, since all the hype surrounding it annoyed me to no degree. It's such a well written show. Just plan ahead though, don't think you'll watch one episode before going to bed so you can get up for work, you'll end up watching like 4 or 5 in one sitting, that's how addicting it is.

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 6 months ago #125278

• DON
  • Die
venison wrote:
Hell yeah Miami Vice! I started watching it for the 80s nostalgia, though I got off track when I moved and everything. Time to get back into it.

And I hardly need to add to the praise of Breaking Bad. I started watching it on netflix when the series was practically over, since all the hype surrounding it annoyed me to no degree. It's such a well written show. Just plan ahead though, don't think you'll watch one episode before going to bed so you can get up for work, you'll end up watching like 4 or 5 in one sitting, that's how addicting it is.

Yeah, I need to do the big, chronological Miami Vice marathon after I'm done with Star Trek TNG.
Watched some episodes on TV back in the days (=90s) and the mediocre 2006 movie...replaying GTA Vice City put me back into 80s mode recently.
So much that I practically don't watch/listen to anything post 1989 these days ;)

I remember watching like 1-2 episodes of Breaking Bad in the evening, thinking like "Well, it's 1pm by now, I have to get up for work at 7 pm!...Fuck work, I wanna know why Pinkman used to be such a dick on Walt!"
It literally happened to me every day, until the show was finished.
Can't think of any other show that was that addicting...except for Buffy maybe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frankB

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 6 months ago #125289

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
THE SIMPSONS Season Three Rating: ****

Worst season to date.

Actually, has some of the best episodes, but in terms of consistency, this is much more watered down than the previous seasons.

Episodes I think rule: Stark Raving Dad, Flaming Moes, When Flanders Failed, Homer at the Bat.

I especially like Stark Raving Dad, which is the Michael Jackson episode, and makes for the best episode up to now, and continues the line of season premiers being the best episode. Lisa it's your birthday. Enough said.

I still liked the season overall, but there was definitely a change in tone and structure. The stories are less thought out, but actually burst with creative genius in places like Homer at the Bat and Flaming Moes. But then there are so many episodes that are just sub par that it brings the season down. Specifically Black Widow (with Sideshow Bob being boring), Colonel Homer (aren't we over the cheating spouse thing yet??), and The Otto Show which is one of the most boring episodes I've seen so far (Otto stays with the simpsons).

I think at this point, Season 2 would be the best season.

Best Episode: Stark Raving Dad

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 6 months ago #125316

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
The Dark Knight (2008, Action) *** 1/2

I was disappointed when I first saw The Dark Knight, and I am equally disappointed now. This movie is one of the most overrated movies ever. A lot of the hype revolves around Heath Ledger, who does do a good job as the joker, but it is not the iconic performance it is acclaimed to be. First of all, if it wasn't Heath Ledger doing it, you wouldn't be going ape. Meaning the dialogue / characterization from The Joker is largely improved by Ledger, and further more it is BECAUSE Ledger hasn't played anything remotely like this before that it was so surprising. But just as a villain on the screen, I can't get into him.

My main problem with The Joker is that I cannot identify with him. He has no human attribute. He's not even really that smart, he's just nuts and likes to play juvenile mind games. Yeah, anarchy. Yeah, make the city burn. So...? Jack Nicholson slaughters by comparison. His character had an origin where he was a mafia henchman, who was envious of his boss and a lot smarter than him. Meanwhile, Jack was just plain funny. You wanted to laugh at his gags. They were silly but they were fun. Heath Ledger's Joker is just crazy and mean. He is not funny. Therefore I think he's an overrated villain.

Batman in this movie gets very little character development if any at all, especially compared with Batman Begins. He's just kind of there, and Bale tries hard to bring something to the role, but it is rare to see him doing anything other than fighting the bad guys. He has no arc, no conflict of character, he's just tough and strong and doesn't appear that affected by anything. The Dark Knight is not his story, and it is not Bale's movie.

Aaron Eckart does a fine job as Harvey Dent. You actually feel for the guy, and he seems very convincing as a do gooder. What isn't convincing is his morph to two face. I don't like how he looks, and I don't like that just because his girlfriend died and his face is torn off that he sides with Joker. He just seems crazy of course. I did like how the coin is originally two heads without a dark side though - thought that was clever.

Maggie / Rachel, I'm sorry but she did ok but it is fucked not bringing back Katie Holmes. This is the Batman movies, not some crappy TV show, don't fuck it up by not having continuity with actors.

Caine and Freeman are barely there, Oldman seems to get some more screen time and is pretty good overall.

The story is muddled, completely unfocused, especially again compared to the first movie. I think the action in the Dark Knight was way better and there was a lot going on all the time, but ultimately I found it even more boring than Batman Begins.

It is still a very good movie, but seriously overrated, and Batman Begins is much better. I would also say the original Batman is better.

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 6 months ago #125321

• venison
  • Die
Somehow I feel like we've reviewed this movie like 5,000 times already :roll
The following user(s) said Thank You: epitome

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 6 months ago #125322

• venison
  • Die
Though to be fair, I have no problem with the 100,000+ reviews we've left of the same freaking band :D Touché myself there

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 6 months ago #125323

• DON
  • Die
Venision, it's the overhype I say! And Ledger's sudden death. And the perfect marketing.
I don't think Dark Knight is worse than Boredom Begins - in fact, it's the best of the trilogy to me with Dark Knight Rises being the golden middle.
I still think the two Burton Batman movies were much better, though, don't like all this pseudo post-9/11 paranoia realism in the current trilogy.

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 6 months ago #125326

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
Well, I wanted to do all the batman movies, so I couldn't leave anything out. I've only ever watched the dark knight rises once, a couple of years ago when it came out, and gave it 5 stars back then. I wonder if it will hold up a second time round..

The Simpsons Season 4 ****

Best season so far. The first two episodes which were left over from season three are easily the worst, and everything else is really consistent in terms of story and being funny. I guess they sort of kept the same style of the third season but made up the difference of what was lacking. Where seasons 2 and 3 both equally felt they'd been spread thin, this is the first season since the beginning that it doesn't feel that way.

Best episode: Whacking Day

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 5 months ago #125396

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
I'll save any more Simpsons talk until I'm ready to do a top 20 episodes.

Anyway, I'm halfway through season 8 and here are my season rankings so far

1. 7
2. 8
3. 4
4. 6
5. 5
6. 2
7. 3
8. 1

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 2 months ago #126120

• DON
  • Die
I'm currently watching the Thin Blue Line with Rowan Atkinson for the first time, after rewatching the whole Blackadder and Mr Bean shows got me back into Atkinson mood.
Now I'm really puzzled, because this is even funnier than Blackadder and has, debatably, Atkinson's best acting of his whole career (except for Keeping Mum, which is by far the best feature film with Rowan Atkinson to me).
All the characters in The Thin Blue Line are hilarious, most of the situations campy beyond believe and the humour is pitch black, adult oriented and politically incorrect beyond good and evil.
I don't think I've ever seen a funnier sitcom in my life, some moments made me literally pause the DVD for shedding my tears of laughter.
I wonder why everyone was so busy loving Mr Bean when Atkinson did so many better things.
The Thin Blue Line never even made it to German TV, I think, and yet it should be even a bigger hit than Bean and Blackadder all together.

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 2 months ago #126122

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
In season 2 the show gets really corny. I think that's what killed it.

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 2 months ago #126123

• DON
  • Die
Season 2 is definitely more silly than season 1, not necessarily cornier, even though I can see the "old-fashionedness" of the whole comedy.
They probably couldn't have gone any sillier (or even more political incorrect without seriously offending the audience) so they probably knew best when to stop.
Four episodes to go, hope my stomach can handle them :D
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by DON.

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 2 months ago #126124

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
Yeah, the very last episodes were the worst.

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 2 months ago #126125

I like Thin Blue Line. I don't have a problem with series 2, although the first series was better. But Blackadder series 4 is far superior ;)
Preparation for detonation...

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 2 months ago #126190

Gonna watch Dredd (2012) tonight in celebration of Day of Dredd!

us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=a6e40236aa2...f600d2&id=e1064e2e8c
www.facebook.com/MakeADreddSequel

Rating -
Movie: 4/5
Blu-ray: 5/5

Last Movie Watched and Rating 5 years 2 months ago #126208

• venison
  • Die
Yeah, Dredd was alright. I'd see a sequel. I could never watch the Sylvester Stallone version all the way through.
The following user(s) said Thank You: plasmate74

Last Movie Watched and Rating 4 years 10 months ago #127491

• DON
  • Die
The Hobbit - Battle Of The Five Armies / The Hobbit Trilogy Reloaded and why Peter Jackson lost it

Oh my fucking god.
To me, the ongoing Hobbit trilogy always was a mixed bag as they went too far away from the source, from the beauty of the Lord Of The Rings trilogy and from the even story.
I thought the first Hobbit was boring (5/10), the 2nd one worked quite good (7/10) and now part 3 is the bomb we all feared.
Congrats to Jackson and his fellows for precisely hitting rock bottom with this!
Not only did they succeed in splitting a 200 pages book into three 3-hour-long movies, the also managed to fail on putting any thought into the pacing.
The trilogy, as it is, takes 3 hours to get the journey started with part one (maybe 50 pages of the book), three hours to take the actual journey (maybe 120 pages of the book) with the 2nd book and 3 hours for the final battle (maybe 20 pages in the book) in movie #3.
Standing alone, Battle Of The Five Armies is one of the worst high-budget movies I was ever forced to sit through,as nothing worked here.
Nothing.
The battle scenes were overlong, unbelievable and rendered in cheesy CG which made me look for my Xbox One controller every now and then.
The story...ahahahaha...let's put it simple:
They fight!
Nothing left of the warm and charming source this tale for the children once was.
Only soulless, overstyled slaughtering, yelling and talking about starting more fights.
I don't even try to be funny, that's what this whole movie consists of:
The kill the dragon and then they fight.
There isn't even the attempt to continue telling the tale of the hobbit, as Bilbo gets totally tossed aside due to all this CG-candy and pathetic wide angle shots.
There's one scene where they try to show what greed does to Thorin - it doesn't work, even though the movie shows perfectly what greed did to Peter Jackson.
Remember that cool and geeky guerrilla director out of the middle of New Zealand's nowhere that would shoot the coolest funsplatter movie ever (Braindead - Dead Alive) before turning The Lord Of The Rings into one of the best literature adaptations of all time?
Forget about him, what we have today is a fat old man that resembles a real life Scrooge Mc Duck.
Cash, cash, cash.
Why else would you stretch a short novel for children into three overlong movies?
Why all the cheesy dialogue, unfunny comic relief, fake battles, bright colours and made-up new occasions and characters (even though there were tons and tons of events and characters in Tolkien's works that they rather could have used)?
Cash, cash, cash.
Jackson should apologise for what he did to one of the richest and most beautiful fantasy worlds and rather focus on directing trailer for every upcoming year's next Call Of Duty game.
The Hobbit #3 was one of the worst experiences I've ever had in cinema.
Bottom of the barrel.
I should rather have watched the grass grow.
And I'll never get these three hours back...

1/10
The following user(s) said Thank You: frankB

Last Movie Watched and Rating 4 years 10 months ago #127492

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
My family make fun of me for not having seen any of these movies.

I didn't really like the Lord of the Rings trilogy so...
The following user(s) said Thank You: DON

Last Movie Watched and Rating 4 years 10 months ago #127534

• venison
  • Die
True dat, the Hobbit 3 was ... well... pretty forgettable. All I remember is spending about $33 total to watch 6 hours of boring outtakes from Lord of the Rings.
Time to create page: 0.310 seconds

No members online
Total: Members: 0 | Guests: 48 | Members List

Search