07December2019

ThePumpkins.net

You are here: Home Forum Categories General Currently Thinking...

TOPIC: Currently Thinking...

Currently Thinking... 3 years 6 months ago #129295

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
epitome wrote:
epitome wrote:
Also been listening to a bit of Marilyn Manson, especially his mid-90s stuff, whilst reading his book The Long Hard Road Out of Hell (good recommendation, Frank).

Very good book, although it made me quite nostalgic for the 90s, even though I only properly got into MM a few years ago. The Billy references near the end didn't help with the nostalgia I guess.

Kinda depressing that it ends with Manson saying it isn't the peak of his career, it's just the beginning. I suppose his peak did continue for a few more years, but I feel like he expected more. In fact, an impression I got throughout was that he felt destined to make some great changes in America, maybe the world, but I'm not so sure that happened. Still a good book though - I'd love to read more from him, not only about the years following on from this book, but also how he views himself, the media and the world today.

Glad you enjoyed it :)

I imagine what Manson would say now and reflect on his progress through the book, would come from a more mature perspective.

I could be wrong but I think since the 90s he's settled down a bit and basically just ridden the wave of things as opposed to still being in the thick of his drug fueled jungle where everyone is out to destroy each other.

But then again, I'm just speculating. It's hard to imagine he gets up to anywhere near as much mischief these days.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Currently Thinking... 3 years 6 months ago #129296

frankB wrote:
epitome wrote:
epitome wrote:
Also been listening to a bit of Marilyn Manson, especially his mid-90s stuff, whilst reading his book The Long Hard Road Out of Hell (good recommendation, Frank).

Very good book, although it made me quite nostalgic for the 90s, even though I only properly got into MM a few years ago. The Billy references near the end didn't help with the nostalgia I guess.

Kinda depressing that it ends with Manson saying it isn't the peak of his career, it's just the beginning. I suppose his peak did continue for a few more years, but I feel like he expected more. In fact, an impression I got throughout was that he felt destined to make some great changes in America, maybe the world, but I'm not so sure that happened. Still a good book though - I'd love to read more from him, not only about the years following on from this book, but also how he views himself, the media and the world today.

Glad you enjoyed it :)

I imagine what Manson would say now and reflect on his progress through the book, would come from a more mature perspective.

I could be wrong but I think since the 90s he's settled down a bit and basically just ridden the wave of things as opposed to still being in the thick of his drug fueled jungle where everyone is out to destroy each other.

But then again, I'm just speculating. It's hard to imagine he gets up to anywhere near as much mischief these days.

Yeah, possibly not. Certainly he seems a bit calmer recently - did still seem quite wild around the time of the Born Villain album though, which wasn't that long ago.

I also got from his book that he wasn't really that into the drugs back then either, but kind of did them because they were there. I'm sure there were more interesting stories to tell after '97 anyway :)

I read that whilst waiting for my copy of the new NOFX book to show up. It still hasn't, so now I've started the autobiography of the lead singer of Godsmack.
Preparation for detonation...

Currently Thinking... 3 years 6 months ago #129297

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
I didn't even realize Sully Erna had an autobiography - you'll have to tell me if it's any good Epitome. Though I think Godsmack only truly made one stellar album (their debut), I do think they've a penchant for crafting solid and slick rock singles even today and I'd be willing to bet that autobiography is more interesting than one might initially think.

Speaking of getting bored with music, I've felt the same way quite often recently. I blame living in a college dormitory for three years where loud obnoxious music is but an expected regularity. I've come to appreciate the tranquility and gracefulness of peaceful silence much more. That said, I've tried to reinvigorate my love for music by exploring untrodden musical territory (untrodden for me at least). I went through a blues kick in the last year and found a lot of great stuff and I've been dipping into a lot of metal that I never bothered with before. Though some of you may call blasphemy, I never really "got" Iron Maiden until just recently after I came to appreciate "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" - subsequently I've been giving their discography a more thorough listen. In addition, I've dipped into other interesting metal groups like Fight, Exodus, Overkill, All Hell (these guys are very new and still not known widely), WASP, and of course, Motorhead.

And of course, sometimes I found somewhat newer songs that tickle my fancy, like this one:

and here's All Hell:

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by kjrain12.

Currently Thinking... 3 years 6 months ago #129302

• glass
  • Disconnected
kjrain12 wrote:
I didn't even realize Sully Erna had an autobiography - you'll have to tell me if it's any good Epitome. Though I think Godsmack only truly made one stellar album (their debut), I do think they've a penchant for crafting solid and slick rock singles even today and I'd be willing to bet that autobiography is more interesting than one might initially think.

Speaking of getting bored with music, I've felt the same way quite often recently. I blame living in a college dormitory for three years where loud obnoxious music is but an expected regularity. I've come to appreciate the tranquility and gracefulness of peaceful silence much more. That said, I've tried to reinvigorate my love for music by exploring untrodden musical territory (untrodden for me at least). I went through a blues kick in the last year and found a lot of great stuff and I've been dipping into a lot of metal that I never bothered with before. Though some of you may call blasphemy, I never really "got" Iron Maiden until just recently after I came to appreciate "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" - subsequently I've been giving their discography a more thorough listen. In addition, I've dipped into other interesting metal groups like Fight, Exodus, Overkill, All Hell (these guys are very new and still not known widely), WASP, and of course, Motorhead.

And of course, sometimes I found somewhat newer songs that tickle my fancy, like this one:

and here's All Hell:

Thank you for making me discover that Lorde song, also the video. I like it. Yeaah :)
Destroy the mind - destroy the body - but you cannot destroy the heart
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by glass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kjrain12

Currently Thinking... 3 years 6 months ago #129304

kjrain12 wrote:

Yeah, it's called The Paths We Choose, I think it was published in 2007. I think I'm a bit over half way through it and it's pretty good. The writing style took a bit of getting used to - it's written really casually, kinda like he's just talking, telling you his life story. Seemed a bit weird at first, as in a book you kinda expect things to be a bit more formal, but I quite like it now that I've got used to it. He talks about his tough childhood a lot and I think the book leads up to around the time Godsmack are formed or release their first album, so that should be pretty interesting. It's quite an inspirational book, he turned around a tough life, maybe through a combination of luck and determination and he comes across as a nice guy.

I bought the book because I just started revisiting Godsmack's music. I listened to them a bit in the late 90s and early 00s but then kinda lost track of them. I've been listening to their debut and Awake quite a bit recently. The debut is definitely the better of the two, Awake feels like more of the same but without being quite as good. I do remember Faceless being a very good album, so I'm looking forward to giving that a good listen. I don't know much that they did after that, other than the acoustic EP The Other Side, which is really good. Should be fun working through their entire discography, they seem like a band that are good at putting together catchy but pretty heavy rock songs :)
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by epitome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kjrain12

Currently Thinking... 3 years 6 months ago #129307

Just had iTunes on random and GLOW came on. Even though it's a bit weak for Zeitgeist-era, it's so much better than almost anything off Monuments it's ridiculous.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DON

Currently Thinking... 3 years 6 months ago #129308

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
epitome wrote:
Just had iTunes on random and GLOW came on. Even though it's a bit weak for Zeitgeist-era, it's so much better than almost anything off Monuments it's ridiculous.
Agreed. And I don't even like GLOW, to begin with ;)

Currently Thinking... 3 years 6 months ago #129309

• venison
  • Die
  • the return of slippin' jimmy
كشف تسربات المياه شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياض شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض شركة تنظيف بالدمام شركة مكافحة حش...

Currently Thinking... 3 years 5 months ago #129325

Just read a good interview with Steven Wilson:
www.facebook.com/notes/steven-wilson/ste..._id=1466011400365251

Currently Thinking... 3 years 5 months ago #129331

• glass
  • Disconnected

Currently Thinking... 3 years 4 months ago #129334

kjrain12 wrote:

Just been listening to Godsmack's third album (Faceless) properly over the last couple of weeks - I think it might be slightly better than their debut, really good album :)

Currently Thinking... 3 years 3 months ago #129351

• glass
  • Disconnected
Corgan named president of Impact Ventures ...
www.pwinsider.com/article/103990/billy-c...-operations.html?p=1

Currently Thinking... 3 years 3 months ago #129354

• venison
  • Die
  • the return of slippin' jimmy
Sounds like this guy's career is finally taking off! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: epitome

Currently Thinking... 3 years 3 months ago #129360

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
epitome wrote:
Just been listening to Godsmack's third album (Faceless) properly over the last couple of weeks - I think it might be slightly better than their debut, really good album :)

You know, I don't think I've ever listened to that album (save for the singles). I'll have to give it a go when I get a chance.

On a completely unrelated note, I recently got a biography about Chester Arthur who I think is a vastly underrated president. Got it in a beautiful leather-bound format with a ribbon bookmark and gilded edges. Absolute gem and a beautiful addition to my growing collection of biographies.

By the way, any fans of The Fall here? They're easily one of my favorite bands and they have probably the strongest discography I've ever seen. 30+ albums and 70+ ex-members, they've been going strong since the late 70s. Great post-punk band. John Peel's favorite actually.
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Currently Thinking... 3 years 2 months ago #129361

• kjrain12
  • Die
  • Storm of Steel
Damn, this place is really dead now isn't it? A couple years back it used to be a bastion of daily posts about Billy Corgan and his antics.

Currently Thinking... 3 years 2 months ago #129366

kjrain12 wrote:
Damn, this place is really dead now isn't it? A couple years back it used to be a bastion of daily posts about Billy Corgan and his antics.

Billy who? Do you mean Bilven Wilgan?

Currently Thinking... 3 years 2 months ago #129367

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
kjrain12 wrote:

There's nothing to talk about, Pumpkins wise. It's crazy to think that right now we might be the closest we've ever been to a proper reunion, and yet the momentum and buzz for this band is completely dead.

When I joined the site in 2010, SP were still coming off the last true Pumpkins album in Zeitgeist (though I guess many will disagree). There was a new song being released every 2 - 3 months and while some of the songs were bad (Freak USA, Spangled, Widow) some were really good (Tom Tom, The Fellowship). No one was sure where the band were headed but it seemed to be the infancy stages of a possible SP2 incarnation.

SP2 released Oceanian in 2012 after many pushbacks of the release dates, and it was a mixed reaction. I know that based on the live 2011 performances I was expecting something different and better.

Oceania had ENORMOUS hype. BC was saying it was the best album from him since Mellon Collie. As in it could hold its ground with Adore, Machina and Zeitgeist. It didn't.

Two years later the SP2 vision had deteriorated completely. The live shows from 2012 onward were unbelievably bland, a return to the 2010 standard sound, despite 2011 having a unique and brilliant departure. Monuments was released and it was basically hated by everyone. What you have to say about the individual songs my come under personal opinion, but the vision of the album was completely underdone and the effort wasn't there. It was a halved-ass attempt to appeal to 'today's generation', giving the finger to long lasting fans of SPs unique styles and progressive sound, in exchange for some cheap plastic pop rock. 35 minutes and 9 songs said it all. The mirror album, Day for Night which was promised to be released 6 months later, wound up never being released at all.

Apart from James Iha showing up during a couple of concerts earlier in the year, BC's pitch take that the band is the best place it's been in years, and that it has momentum is a completely deluded sham.

SP might be revived again, but as it stands now BC is president of Wrestling who-gives-a-fuck and SP are just a thing of the past.

Meanwhile I've been getting into sensational new albums from little known bands this year, producing some of the best music I've ever heard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epitome, plasmate74

Currently Thinking... 3 years 2 months ago #129369

Yeah, spot on, Frankie.

I check back here every now and then to see if there's any SP news and to see what you guys are up to (wonder how Don's doing these days...), but SP don't seem that relevant to me anymore. Monuments kinda killed off the remaining interest I had in them, plus the crap live show I saw a few years back didn't help.

As with Frank, I listen to a lot of other bands that are doing much more exciting things at the moment... SP have fallen a long way behind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frankB

Currently Thinking... 3 years 2 months ago #129376

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
Hello my dear friends, how are all of you doing?
glad to see the hard core of this forum ist still around here somewhere :)

I used to take some time away from the internet and everything and I'm still limiting my leisure time online as much as possible.

There were some changes in my life, like a new job and the start of my self-employment - I'm still a corporate slave currently, but my sound-designing website has already launched and the first orders are coming in already.
It's sound design on demand; you only pay as much time as we will mix and master for you.
Here's a link, but it's still the beta free site with fake audio samples (my own^^) and it's still in German only: julaarsounddesign.wixsite.com/main.

I'm still working on a followup to my 2015 album and I say about 2/3 is finished by now, I'm not sure how long it'll take, though, since I'm overly busy with my "real job" and my "independent job".
The album's gonna be called "Choir Of The Connected-Ones" and it's a breakdown of our culture's ridiculous addiction to technology and being connected 24/7.
A cyberpunk nightmare about tuning people into drones rather than thinking humans, because that's exactly what I see happen these days, cumulating into a big catastrophe of inhumanity one day.
This is going to be a lyric heavy album and it's definitely clocking in at +-60 minutes this time.

By the way, seems like Pumpkinsland has gone completely insane.
The real reunion with all original members is only one more step away and Billy seems to give a fuck about it.
Pathetic, isn't it?

So yeah, I'm back, I haven't forgotten about you :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: plasmate74

Currently Thinking... 3 years 2 months ago #129377

• MMH
  • Rachel
Welcome back Don. Without you it isn´t the same, even if we have some ;) differents about the Pumpkins today ;)
Time to create page: 0.500 seconds

No members online
Total: Members: 0 | Guests: 12 | Members List

Search