06December2019

ThePumpkins.net

You are here: Home Forum Categories General Currently Thinking...

TOPIC: Currently Thinking...

Currently Thinking... 3 years 2 months ago #129378

• Dorovo
  • Die
  • Happy End of the World
thepumpkins.net will never die! ;)
"I said rat in a cage, not monkey from a fucking wire!" - Billy Corgan

"You have absolutely smashing pumpkins!" - Billy Corgan

uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Billy_Corgan
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DON

Currently Thinking... 3 years 1 month ago #129379

Dorovo wrote:
thepumpkins.net will never die! ;)

* 2 weeks go by *

Hello?

Am I the last man alive?

@Don - good to know you're making a new album. I hope your sound design website is doing ok for you :)
Preparation for detonation...

Currently Thinking... 3 years 1 month ago #129384

• glass
  • Disconnected
I discovered that this version of Rotten apples is not the one on the original The aeroplane flies high boxset (not even on the reissue, nor on MCIS demos I).
I don't remember where I found it. Do you know anything?
Destroy the mind - destroy the body - but you cannot destroy the heart
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by glass.

Currently Thinking... 3 years 2 weeks ago #129392

• venison
  • Die
  • the return of slippin' jimmy
I wanna cry but I just don't care enough to

Currently Thinking... 2 years 10 months ago #129406

• DON
  • Die
  • Halp me, pls! Mein ice-cream ist am melting!
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by DON.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epitome, frankB

Currently Thinking... 2 years 10 months ago #129408

Great review, Don. "the 1990s most remarkable and most surprising rock music" sums it up nicely and I'd go as far as to say it's THE best album of all-time (that I've heard ;))

Currently Thinking... 2 years 10 months ago #129409

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
Loved the review Don. Probably the best review of the album I've ever read. I even learned a few things, like how they had a fifteen track CD including Lily (?) and the first disc as Plan B. It's pretty sad to see the band crumble in the way it has from what it was in 1995 - 1997.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epitome, DON

Currently Thinking... 2 years 10 months ago #129411

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface

Billy posted this to youtube & facebook to create buzz (?)

This video confirms anything but. Maybe I'm an outlier, but I don't want them to play music that they think casual fans want to hear. He needs to go against the tide - the complete opposite of what he's saying. I mean Jesus, if he plays the hits just like he has been for the last seven fucking years and they're not changing the sound at all, what's the point in even having the original pumpkins on stage? Just so they can call it a reunion tour and cash in?

Without the original band working together on a new album, all is lost.

As Corgan says in the video, my interest is very limited in now what used to be my favorite band.

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
The following user(s) said Thank You: epitome, DON

Currently Thinking... 2 years 10 months ago #129413

• DON
  • Die
It's great to be back in some serious SP discussion after almost a year of silence :)
Personally, especially since I'm going through the Pumpkins' 90s catalogue for my reviews these days, I feel like this is Billy's only option to cling on to the Pumpkins. It's a harsh thought but I'm not sure if Billy, in his recent emotional state, either was capable to pull off a great performance of more "underground" songs like Thru The Eyes Of Ruby or if he was ever able to write music as good ever again.
The original decade of the Pumpkins was driven by his self-hate, angst and depression, he honestly felt that way and that's what fueled his creativity.
It seems like he leads a pretty comfortable and peaceful life these days with his mental issues long gone, so I doubt there's a way back into the realms of music the three of us would consider exciting.
It's a bummer, but I don't think it will make any difference if he brings back the original lineup or not to perform cardboard cutout copies of Bullet With Butterfly Wings and Today.
Like Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones and dozens of other well-known classic bands, the Smashing Pumpkins finally have become a product, a trademark, a name to print some money, cashing-in on the nostalgia of some people like us, desperately hoping for SP becoming SP again one day.
Monuments, Billy's latest attempt of a fresh album and the silent abandoning of the "more creative second album Day For Night" should have been a warning to everyone how creatively burnt-out he really is.
I don't expect him to release anything worthwhile ever again, nor to ever be part of another outstandingly great live band (like in the Zeitgeist era).
As much as I love SP (and recent re-listenings have definitely sparked my love for classic SP once again), the only last thing to be excited about is the upcoming Machina boxset...which, I fear, will never come...
By the way, since I've continued my in-depth review marathon of SP, I will go all the way including ZWAN's only album and down to Monuments...not exactly looking forward to this but the dirty work has to be done ;)

My in-depth analysis of Aeroplane:
donsmusicreviews.wordpress.com/2017/01/1...eroplane-flies-high/
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by DON.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frankB

Currently Thinking... 2 years 10 months ago #129414

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
It's amazing how those words 'creatively burnt out' seem to resonate so well with Billy. He looks so old these days, Steven Wilson was born the same year as him and looks 10 years younger. I find it amazing that as soon as SW hits the studio he produces something magnificent like the sample in 'Pariah', sounding as SW as possible. Meanwhile BC gets further and further away from his sound and origins. The 30 day travelogue with acoustic guitar hippy shit sounds like Zwan era outtakes at best and completely redundant . Between that and the teahouse bullshit you don't know what's going on with him, other than having fun as an old man.

Meanwhile I just found out Blackfield have another album coming out, lol with SW on vocals. And hey I'm going to see Devin Townsend live in May this year, should be interesting..

Off to read your new review ;)

Currently Thinking... 2 years 10 months ago #129422

frankB wrote:
Meanwhile I just found out Blackfield have another album coming out, lol with SW on vocals.

I just got Blackfield IV, thought I should listen to it before I get the new one. Pretty decent, but a couple of duds on there. Hopefully V will be a return to the quality of their first one.

Currently Thinking... 2 years 10 months ago #129423

• DON
  • Die
My in-depth therapy session with Adore:

donsmusicreviews.wordpress.com/2017/01/17/adore/
The following user(s) said Thank You: epitome, frankB

Currently Thinking... 2 years 10 months ago #129424

• frankB
  • Die
  • Ghostface
Again, amazing analysis from the master of all things Smashing Pumpkins lol

And I learnt something new again in The End is the Beginning is the End is a Billy solo recording?? Did I read that right? Makes more sense as well as you painted James not being interested in Pumpkins anymore (Let it come down, lol).

James and Darcy's lack of enthusiasm certainly didn't hurt the live shows, even if they didn't have much input on the album.

Currently Thinking... 2 years 1 month ago #129489

• DON
  • Die
I love how the main page still promotes the Aeroplane box set from 2013 :billy
The following user(s) said Thank You: frankB
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds

No members online
Total: Members: 0 | Guests: 25 | Members List

Search